Question Changing SATA mode to IDE for installing Windows XP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2023
I wanted to install Windows XP on my old system which came with Windows 8.1 pre-installed, so i knew this would take some effort. The first problem that I saw was a BSOD due to my HDD being set to AHCI. I entered BIOS setup utility and tried to change the SATA mode but i did not find any option to change it. I looked everywhere in the BIOS but did not find any such option. I could integrate the drivers, but could not find any. Appreciate if anyone could help with this issue.

Other info:
Laptop- Acer Aspire ES1-531
BIOS: Insyde H20 rev 5.0
HDD: Toshiba MQ01ABD100 1TB

pls say in you need any more info, will change accordingly

There's no official XP AHCI driver for Braswell so you aren't going to find an official F6 driver. Normally this means if you don't have a selectable IDE mode in the BIOS, you can't install XP.

However some people have reported the Fernando modified AHCI Baytrail driver works well enough to get Windows 7 installed on Braswell, after which it updates itself to the standard Microsoft SATA driver. As there isn't such a Microsoft driver in XP, presumably it could keep working with the Fernando driver? At least you don't have to worry about driver signing.

Reactions: madaraosenpai
VMware
Virtualbox
Read up on them and choose one, they are both free to use, XP isn't so you will have to deal with that and I don't know if the MS servers still accept licenses from XP.
Qemu is free and open-source if you are into those things, it's much harder to use though.
You can't run XP natively on hardware that doesn't have support for it.
If you want something native that's anywhere near to XP you need a linux distro.

Feb 26, 2023
Thank you for the replies! BFG-9000, I will surely take a look at that. TerryLaze, I know how to use Virtualbox, and have been using it for a long time on my main system. The problem is that not only is the system i want to install win xp too weak to run Virtualbox, but I want to run xp naitively. I have been able to run vista on that computer so I was wondering if i could push just a little bit.

Nice Nicer

Commendable
May 24, 2021
It's very likely that there is no IDE option in the BIOS because there is no IDE connector on the board. Your Laptop was made after most people stopped using this kind of hardware. Even If there was this kind of setting, you probably wouldn't benefit from it, if you don't have the matching hardware. I had a USB to IDE cable and a 12 Volt Power suply with a molex connector and successfully used DVD Drives with IDE on my Laptop that way. Maybe this would work with hard Drives as well but that's just speculation.

Reactions: Darkscythe
Considering that the activation servers were taken offline years ago, and they will not activate via phone, you will not be able to install and run XP at all. And, before anyone even thinks about posting ways around that, DON'T. We do not allow discussions on how to circumvent any form of protection.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Back in the xp days you needed to have sata drivers on a floppy disk. During install you pointed to these drivers for sata support.

That's where I'd be looking for sata support. though not sure if it would load from a USB drive or not.

Been much long time since I tinkered with xp

Feb 26, 2023
I just realised. It can actually see the hdd. The cpu is an Intel Pentium n3710. It's an ACPI issue. From my knowledge, 4th gen (Hasswell) CPUs are the last compatible ones. Unless anyone has a suggestion, I guess i done.

Status
Not open for further replies.