Question Changing setting on inaccessable control panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikey316

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
We've got a computer running XP that we use as a photo kiosk. The kiosk software is password protected to prevent access to the operating system.
An error has occurred with the printer setting and to look at it I need access to the control panel. The problem is the company that supplied the kiosk software has gone out of business and didn't supply us with the password to access XP.

Any suggestions at to what I can do because I'm just hitting brick walls here.

Is it possible to remove the hard drive, put it into another windows pc, access and fix the printer settings via that pc and then return it back?

Thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
Forum rules prohibit assistance with hacking passwords or otherwise working around security measures.

There is no way to know if the situation is truly as you describe.

As I understand your post, the host XP computer boots directly into the kiosk software - is that correct?

And you have no administrative password for either the kiosk software or Windows XP - is that also correct?

The only suggestion that I can offer is to go back through any documentation that came with the kiosk software and host computer. Especially if the kiosk was some bundled package: i.e., host computer, photo software, and printer.

There may be some documented troubleshooting process using specific key combinations to address the sort of problem that you are encountering.

Pikey316

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
Thanks for your reply.
Yeah I understand how it could come across suspect.

Yes, the PC boots directly into the kiosk software, even in safe mode.
There's no XP password needed but there is one to go from the kiosk software into the operating system.

All that was provided in terms of documentation was a help desk contact number (which was always redirected to one guy's mobile and who'd have to call you back when he was at his pc) which is now no longer in use.

Its hardly surprising they went out of business.

Status
Not open for further replies.