Changing the Active Ethernet Jack Help Needed

edmuquit2003

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017
Really loving this amazing community, and the insight everyone has shared. I'm having a bit of trouble with my ethernet/router at home, and please bare with me since I'm a beginner at this stuff.

Backstory: I had the modem guy come out to change our active ethernet jack to a different room. So now I have ethernet in my office, but after having it in there I no longer want it there(sigh). So, if someone could help walk me through changing to another room in my house that has an ethernet wall jack I would be grateful.

Honestly, it took the service guy literally 5 minutes to change the active jack to a different room. All it looked like he did was unplug and plug things back into the switch, and asked me to test if the internet was coming out of the ethernet port hooked to my laptop in the office upstairs. So, I would rather try it on my own then pay the guy another $50, to come out and just unplug things.

Panel Box(located downstairs, office is upstairs):

1zl6csi.jpg

Switch:

2hdadcm.jpg

Close Up Switch:

2vmg9co.jpg

Port 8 on the far left is the one that is currently blinking and is the wall ethernet port in my office and its labeled fifteen. I want to change it to the wall ethernet jack labeled thirteen, I think that is the right one since on the door panel guide it says rear bedroom but I could be wrong. Also, port one is blinking too and I know that is the modem signal. I plugged that colorful wire into my laptop and I got internet, so I'm assuming that is what is feeding into the switch.

Failed attempt 1: Okay, so what I tried doing was since port number 8 was blinking, I thought if I unplugged ethernet cord fifteen and switched it with thirteen it would somehow work, but it didn't.

If someone could point a beginner in the right direction I would be grateful, and also I'm not trying to move the router/modem downstairs near the panel to activate all the ports, I just want to change the active ethernet jack and move my router/modem to another room.

Installation Door Panel:

2q3as09.jpg

Enabling/disabling a client port (at different rooms) is a simple matter of plugging the other end of that cable into the switch. Looks like you have more than 7 extensions but only an 8 ports switch, reason you have to do this, some of those extension will have to be disconnected until needed.

Now if you want to move the modem, that's more complicated, but if you think logically, this is really very simple. Whatever you do, you must end up with:

ISP Jack ---(single connection)---> Modem ----(single connection)----> (1 port) Switch === (many connections, 7 for you) ===> Rooms.

If you plug something into the switch and no LED light up, it means whatever you think is on the other end, isn't.

Whoever did this for you isn't a Pro, no 2 labels should be named the same and writing it out in English now opens to interpretation, a simple 1, 2, 3 .... should had been simple and precise for both ends.

edmuquit2003

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017

Jsmithepa, thanks so much for replying. I kind of understand what your saying, so basically take the ISP cord(colorful wire) that is in the service panel which is plugged into port 1 on the switch, and then plug it into the router/modem(bring cable modem/router downstairs) followed by plugging the remaining ethernet cords into the router/modem and switch? But wouldn't that activate all the ports in the house? That is great and all, but my service panel is dead smack in the laundry room downstairs and there isn't enough room to put my router/modem there.

Currently the router/modem is upstairs, and I'm just trying to move it to the room behind me on the second floor. The modem was originally in the living room, but I paid the service guy to move it upstairs.

When you say "plugging the other end of the wire into the switch", do you mean try plugging all the loose wires into port one where that colorful wire is? and see if something lights up? I apologize ahead of time this isn't my field of expertise, and I appreciate all the help.

TRENDING THREADS