[SOLVED] Changing the head of a PSU power cable (US - GB)

Oct 26, 2021
Recently was sent parts by a friend in the US to built my own computer, only problem is, the power supply included uses a standard american style plug. This obviously can't be used with British mains, so i'm wondering how much risk is there if any of changing the head of the cable and using that?
Originally the power lead was set at 10A and 125V. As British mains run at 13A and 250(?) volts, can i just change the fuse in the head to be 10A? What would the wiring's voltage then run at? No idea what it's determined by ya see

In hindsight maybe i should've asked this question before cutting through the power lead oops

Solution
Originally the power lead was set at 10A and 125V. As British mains run at 13A and 250(?) volts, can i just change the fuse in the head to be 10A? What would the wiring's voltage then run at? No idea what it's determined by ya see

What PSU is it?

There's no such thing as a "125V only" PSU. It will either auto switch or there's a mechanical switch on the back of the PSU that allows you to select between 115V or 230V. If it's the latter, it's a really old PSU and shouldn't be used.

He needs more than a new cable..

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me... then to have a frontal lobotomy.."
You can put a British plug on the PSU......but makes sure the PSU is set to 250 volts IF it's the kind of PSU you set with a switch.

SOME PSUs are automatic and will adapt to the voltage automatically.

You need to figure out if your PSU automatically switches or if it's manual.

Edit: and if you do switch the plug....make sure you wire the new one properly.

You can also just buy an adapter that converts US prongs to Euro prongs, but the important thing is whether the power supply can handle running on 250v. Older PSU's had a manual switch to select that voltage, some newer ones will switch automatically, and some can not be used at all.. ie: they'll pop, and possibly damage more than just the supply itself.
What exact make and model is the PSU?

Oct 26, 2021
You can also just buy an adapter that converts US prongs to Euro prongs, but the important thing is whether the power supply can handle running on 250v. Older PSU's had a manual switch to select that voltage, some newer ones will switch automatically, and some can not be used at all.. ie: they'll pop, and possibly damage more than just the supply itself.
What exact make and model is the PSU?

ATNG ATM-600FB i think

Recently was sent parts by a friend in the US to built my own computer, only problem is, the power supply included uses a standard american style plug. This obviously can't be used with British mains, so i'm wondering how much risk is there if any of changing the head of the cable and using that?

In hindsight maybe i should've asked this question before cutting through the power lead oops

Why not just spend 5 bucks and buy the proper cable?

What PSU is it?

There's no such thing as a "125V only" PSU. It will either auto switch or there's a mechanical switch on the back of the PSU that allows you to select between 115V or 230V. If it's the latter, it's a really old PSU and shouldn't be used.

He needs more than a new cable..

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me... then to have a frontal lobotomy.."

Solution