Changing the Local disk after OS installation

4lch3m15t

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
Hey, first post here! After building my first PC, I have just finished installing the OS ( windows7) on an SSD ( which is, for now, the local disk). I am looking to change the local disk so that it wil be my 2tb HD. I'm new to this so I was wondering if anyone had an idea how to do it.

P.S- I'm sorry if this has been answered before, just can't find anything as specific as I need it to be.

Thank you in advanced.

noobnumberone

Reputable
Jul 25, 2014
do you want your os to be on the 2tb hard drive or do you want to boot from the 2tb hard drive [which i assume already has an os]??
if its the first one you need to reinstall the os on the other hard drive and do a complete format of your ssd.
if your problem is the latter you need to go into the bios settings and change the device with 1st priority to your 2tb hard drive

4lch3m15t

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
I want the OS to stay on the SSD. The 2tb Does NOT have an OS installed. I just want to change the C:drive so that the default storage area for things I download and isntall will be the 2tb HDD, instead of the SSD, since my SSD is only 120bg, I want to only have software on it that I use regularly i.e Photoshop, and some games. I know I can just choose to install them on the HDD when I am prompted to, but it would just give me piece of mind to have the HDD as my C:drive

noobnumberone

Reputable
Jul 25, 2014
ok i get it.
you want your os in the ssd and all the apps games downloaded data etc to sbe stored in the 2tb hard drive right??
check this out

Go to desktop -> Win+R -> regedit -> press enter -> expand hkey local machine -> then expand software -> then microsoft -> then windows -> then current version -> the modify registry values of ProgramFilesDr and/or ProgramFilesDr (x86) depending on the windows you are using to the directory in which you want to save your program files -> and for downloaded files in chrome go to settings and then advanced settings then change download directory -> Done :D

I would prefer to keep a separate partition for program files :D
set aside like about 300gigs of storage for program files if you run a lot of games and storage intensive programs but for normal office home usage etc 150 - 200 will be enough

4lch3m15t

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
Thank you for all your help so farm it;s really appreciated! But this didn't help :( To test it, I downloaded Skype and the default location was on the C:/ drive
(The SSD). While I want the default location to be the HDD. sorry for troubling you as much as I have, but thankyou either way :)