Changing to AP mode

Sep 25, 2018
I have an ASUS RT-AC5300 modem and would like to add my ASUS RP-AC56 as an AP with my Cat6 cable. Please explain how this is done. Cannot seem to get it to work

Solution
I am extremely surprised that box even has asus name on it. I figured this was another question from someone who was too lazy to read the manual. Even with a lot of searching all I found is their worthless quickstart guide that says push magic button and it works.

Asus has some of the better documentation but this product it is almost worthless. Many of their routers you can run a simulated router online to see their menus before you buy the products.

It should be a matter of connect a lan port on your router to one of the ports on the device and then set it to AP mode. Where you find that magic AP mode setting is hard to say.

kanewolf

Titan
All the Asus routers I have ever used as access points ... Set a unique static IP address on the router. Toggle the option in the firmware. Connect the ethernet cable to a LAN port. Verify the primary router DHCP doesn't conflict with the static IP. If you get it wrong, somehow just use the factory reset button and try again.

I am extremely surprised that box even has asus name on it. I figured this was another question from someone who was too lazy to read the manual. Even with a lot of searching all I found is their worthless quickstart guide that says push magic button and it works.

Asus has some of the better documentation but this product it is almost worthless. Many of their routers you can run a simulated router online to see their menus before you buy the products.

It should be a matter of connect a lan port on your router to one of the ports on the device and then set it to AP mode. Where you find that magic AP mode setting is hard to say.

Solution

Joey2oo9

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Disable DHCP server on the RP-AC56 and set it to a static IP say 192.168.1.253 (check the RT-AC5300 to see if that IP address is usable). Then connect the the AC5300 to one of the LAN ports on the AC56 and you should be good.

The RP-AC56 is not a router it is a repeater. I do not think it even has DHCP abilities....but there is almost no documentation on that device.

Joey2oo9

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

Ah in that case OP is screwed :)

kanewolf

Titan

A google image search shows this page -- https://www.eteknix.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/ASUS_RP-AC56-SS-11-800x612.jpg so it looks like connecting a cable to the port on the side and toggling the mode should set it as an AP.