[SOLVED] changing to new system

PAPPADOC

Reputable
Sep 27, 2016
i want to get a new mobo to match the new 10900k i'm getting. i currently have an 8700k. can i just take my m.2 ssd and put it in the new pc setup without doing anything to the ssd or do i have to reinstall windows with the new hardware?

Solution
i want to get a new mobo to match the new 10900k i'm getting. i currently have an 8700k. can i just take my m.2 ssd and put it in the new pc setup without doing anything to the ssd or do i have to reinstall windows with the new hardware?

Hi @PAPPADOC

Yes, you can use the SSD in your new PC as long as it has an m.2 slot and it supports the I'd assume 2280 m.2 you have? Do you have Windows 10? Would advise you to backup any important files/pics/docs 1st. You'll of course need to install new drivers and Windows may require you to reactivate once it detects the new hardware. Simply use your existing product Key and if you aren't able to activate for any reason, just contact Microsoft's activation dept. to explain.

Any...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

Hi @PAPPADOC

Yes, you can use the SSD in your new PC as long as it has an m.2 slot and it supports the I'd assume 2280 m.2 you have? Do you have Windows 10? Would advise you to backup any important files/pics/docs 1st. You'll of course need to install new drivers and Windows may require you to reactivate once it detects the new hardware. Simply use your existing product Key and if you aren't able to activate for any reason, just contact Microsoft's activation dept. to explain.

Any reason why you don't just reinstall Windows? Your system will take about 15 mins from start to finish so it's not like it'll take awhile. Especially if it's been awhile since your last fresh install. :) If you don't have your Windows DVD, you can easily make a boot thumb drive (if you don't already have 1 to begin with)

The 10900k is a beast. Kudos on it. Whats the rest of your system going to look like?

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
A full OS reinstall may be needed, possibly required.

Just putting that drive into a new system may not work.
It might, but be prepared for total fail.

Also:
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change