[SOLVED] Changing up SSDs

Galadhlinn

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019
Hello,
I just received my new Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0 and want to do some major shifting around in my pc storage setup. I'm hoping for some suggestions on the best configuration and that someone can point me to a tutorial, youtube, etc. that will walk me through the process of migrating data/files and all that.

Currently, I have a MSI X470 Gaming Pro MB. I have a 500GB Samsung 970 MVMe M.2 stick in the #1 (top) slot. I have a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO in the SATA 1 slot.

My goal is to do a fresh/clean install of windows 10 on the 970 stick and keep it to the OS and basics (docs, music, pictures) keeping it where it is. The new 980 Pro I would also like to go in the #2 MVMe slot and install all my games there. The 850 EVO obviously stays in the SATA 1 slot, but I would like to repurpose it as an isolated backup to the 970 where once a week or so I back up the 970 and then isolate it (not sure how to do this). This way if I have a failure or ransomware to the C: drive (970), I can wipe the 970 and reinstall from the 850. If this is not ideal, I'd appreciate your suggestions. My thinking is that my important game files are mostly in my documents folder, so they will be backed up weekly.

Solution
OK then...

Final result - OS and applications on the 980 Pro, other things (games, etc) in the 970. And we'll see about the 850.

Copy any personal things you wish to keep over to the 850.
Possibly including the SteamApps folder from the 970, if it fits.

So now there is nothing on the 970 you wish to keep.

Physically disconnect the 970 and 850.
Connect the 980, install.
OS, drivers, and all applications.

After, reconnect the other two.
Copy what you need from the 850 over to the 970.

SO now, there is nothing on the 850 you still need.
Wipe it clean.

Galadhlinn

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019
Thanks for the reply,
My goal with the current setup was OS, docs, music, pictures on the 970 and games on the 850, but it got messy over time, so a few games are on the 970 (98GB free of 464) and the 850 is (269GB free of 465). I just got Starlink and will be installing about 300-400GB of games (estimate), so now is a good time to clean things up, do a fresh install and get a backup drive into the program.

USAFRet

Titan
OK then...

Final result - OS and applications on the 980 Pro, other things (games, etc) in the 970. And we'll see about the 850.

Wipe it clean.

Solution

Galadhlinn

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019
OK then...

Wipe it clean.

OK, but the 980 is the big one for games (1TB). I was thinking the 970 MVMe 500GB is plenty big for the OS, apps, docs, music, pictures, etc.) Note: I really don't have a lot of pictures or music. Game files will be my big data.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello,
I just received my new Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0 and want to do some major shifting around in my pc storage setup. I'm hoping for some suggestions on the best configuration and that someone can point me to a tutorial, youtube, etc. that will walk me through the process of migrating data/files and all that.

Currently, I have a MSI X470 Gaming Pro MB. I have a 500GB Samsung 970 MVMe M.2 stick in the #1 (top) slot. I have a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO in the SATA 1 slot.

My goal is to do a fresh/clean install of windows 10 on the 970 stick and keep it to the OS and basics (docs, music, pictures) keeping it where it is. The new 980 Pro I would also like to go in the #2 MVMe slot and install all my games there. The 850 EVO obviously stays in the SATA 1 slot, but I would like to repurpose it as an isolated backup to the 970 where once a week or so I back up the 970 and then isolate it (not sure how to do this). This way if I have a failure or ransomware to the C: drive (970), I can wipe the 970 and reinstall from the 850. If this is not ideal, I'd appreciate your suggestions. My thinking is that my important game files are mostly in my documents folder, so they will be backed up weekly.
The M.2-2 slot runs @ PCI-E 2.0 X4

A true backup would need to be on a extremal drive.

Hello,

If the 850 is connected it's vulnerable if you get hit by a bug.

Galadhlinn

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019
Ok good!

So is the issue with the backup drive that for it to be a true backup drive it is easily disconnected from the pc (I.E USB)? I thought there could be a separate PW to isolate it from the OS.

USAFRet

Titan
And for backups, I'm an adherent of full drive backup images.
Macrium Reflect or similar.

Trying to backup just this folder and that folder...invariably something is missed.

Galadhlinn

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019
Yes, I wasn't clear enough in the OP. I want to do image back up which is why I thought the 850 (500GB) and the 970 MVMe (500GB) would be a good match. There must be an external box that converts the 850 SATA 3 to USB 3.0. I hate to buy a fourth drive and then have a perfectly good 500GB SSD with no purpose.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, I wasn't clear enough in the OP. I want to do image back up which is why I thought the 850 (500GB) and the 970 MVMe (500GB) would be a good match. There must be an external box that converts the 850 SATA 3 to USB 3.0. I hate to buy a fourth drive and then have a perfectly good 500GB SSD with no purpose.
Sure...there are multiple SATA enclosures for that 850.
$10 and up.
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Tool-free-Enclosure-Optimized-EC-UASP/dp/B00OJ3UJ2S

And an Image with Macrium or similar is only as large as the actual consumed space. Actually, a little smaller.

For instance, in my system.

1TB 980 Pro as the C drive.
File Explorer shows it as 390GB consumed.
A full drive Image in Macrium is 326GB.