Changing windows 10 license key between 2 pcs

BleepingCrazy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
Hi guys,

I've just bought a new PC with windows Home. My old PC has windows 10 Pro which I've upgraded from windows 8.1.

I've tried installing the a new copy of windows pro on my new pc, but it says there was some license error (don't have specifics on me right now, only that it wouldn't let me).

Is there any way of doing this? As I want to sell my old PC (with win 10 home installed) but keep my Pro license.

Thanks for any info on this.
Sam

Solution
Depends on which version of Windows, OEM vs Retail.

If windows came pre-installed on either PC, it's an OEM version and cannot be transferred from that system.

-Wolf sends
Nope, not possible. If you want the new PC to have pro you'll need a Pro upgrade license. http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-easily-upgrade-windows-10-home-windows-10-pro has an easy way to do it.

If your old install was a retail 8.1, you might be able to reformat your new one with 8.1, and then upgrade to 10 (and reformat again), but some people have issues with that too. You cannot transfer OEM licenses at all.

BleepingCrazy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
Thanks guys!

New PC is OEM version. Looks like I'll be sticking with "Home" for the time being. I thought it would have been easier swapping between the 2. At least having Pro on my old PC is a bonus selling point.

Thanks for your quick responses as I was hoping to do something with it after work.

BleepingCrazy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
Just a quick addition to this. My Pro license is the full one. But the OEM Home one is stuck to the new PC and can't be moved elsewhere, right? But if I wanted to sacrifice the OEM, I can install a clean Pro version on my new system?

Wolfshadw

Titan
There are two descriptors that are being mixed together here. License and Version. Your product license is either OEM or Retail. Your product version is either Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro. You could have an OEM license of Windows 10 Pro that cannot be transferred to another system.

-Wolf sends