Question Changing my Ryzen 5 1600 to Ryzen 5600G, worth it? Suggestions please!

IsraelHP

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2015
Hello guys!!

Thank you in advance to help me with this. I have this PC and I would like to upgrade my Ryzen 1600 because I think it's old for the current gaming requirements:
  1. GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition PNY
  2. 16GB Corsair Led 3200MHz
  3. ASrock AB350 Pro4
  4. PSU Corsair M600w
  5. Case NZXT Phantom 410
After doing "some" research and would like to have this parts, but I not sure about the Ryzen because I have a GPU (old I guess) and I don't know if would be compatible with the CPU. This is my upgrade setup:
  1. Ryzen 5 5600G
  2. ASUS Micro ATX TUF Gaming B450M-Plus II
  3. NZXT H510
I use to play RTS games, and I really wanted to play Warhammer 3 Total War. What do you think? Should I stick to the 5600G or would be OK if got a Ryzen 3600 (not the X because it's expensive). Also, for now, I can't upgrade my GPU.

What do thikn? Would be fine?

Thanks!!!!

Hello guys!!

Thank you in advance to help me with this. I have this PC and I would like to upgrade my Ryzen 1600 because I think it's old for the current gaming requirements:
  3. ASrock AB350 Pro4
  4. PSU Corsair M600w
  5. Case NZXT Phantom 410
After doing "some" research and would like to have this parts, but I not sure about the Ryzen because I have a GPU (old I guess) and I don't know if would be compatible with the CPU. This is my upgrade setup:
  1. Ryzen 5 5600G
  3. NZXT H510
I use to play RTS games, and I really wanted to play Warhammer 3 Total War. What do you think? Should I stick to the 5600G or would be OK if got a Ryzen 3600 (not the X because it's expensive). Also, for now, I can't upgrade my GPU.

Thanks!!!!
it is!! but before you change the cpu, do this step by step in order, for better optimized performance (and avoid any issues after upgrade):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 12 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

and the chipset driver/software in control panel (if there is none just skip)

• Shut down the pc, then proceed replacing the CPU with the 5600G.

• boot the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings, find AMD SVM and IOMMU options, enable them (if the option is only auto and disable, just leave it auto), then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Enable hardware accelerated graphics scheduling (available in the latest windows update) in graphics settings and reboot, it should be like this:
    unknown.png

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png

IsraelHP

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2015
Thanks for the answer!! But I will change the MoBo, should I follow the same steps???

it is!! but before you change the cpu, do this step by step in order, for better optimized performance (and avoid any issues after upgrade):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 12 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

and the chipset driver/software in control panel (if there is none just skip)

• Shut down the pc, then proceed replacing the CPU with the 5600G.

• boot the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings, find AMD SVM and IOMMU options, enable them (if the option is only auto and disable, just leave it auto), then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Enable hardware accelerated graphics scheduling (available in the latest windows update) in graphics settings and reboot, it should be like this:
    unknown.png

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png

Hello guys!!

3. ASrock AB350 Pro4
  4. PSU Corsair M600w
  5. Case NZXT Phantom 410
  1. Ryzen 5 5600G
  3. NZXT H510

Thanks!!!!
My pick is the 5600g.

Hello guys!!

3. ASrock AB350 Pro4
  4. PSU Corsair M600w
  5. Case NZXT Phantom 410
  1. Ryzen 5 5600G
  3. NZXT H510

Thanks!!!!
The 5600G is a better CPU than the 3600, I play RTS games as well, they tend to be heavily dependant on single threaded performance. Your better off with the 5600G. The GPU just needs PCI-E, it will work just fine with the 5600G. Yes it's 5 years old now, but the 1070 is still a perfectly good 1080p card. I would hold onto that for now and worry about upgrading when the GPU market isn't so messed up. Besides at least from my experience, strategy games don't tend to need vast amounts of GPU power.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
NZXT H510
Don't do this. I can't say everything I want about that case in here because my post would be... 50% insults towards the case and company so I'll just want to say it's one of the worst cases made in the last decade, it's not THE worst in my list (that'd be the Xaser VI) but it's definitely near the top.

Not only is ridiculously expensive considering the overall quality of the materials used (cheapest plastic possible, low grade metal, bad rivets and more) but it completely lacks an air intake, the front fans are merely decorative, it's like if you were using one of those old Baby AT tower cases from the 90's with modern components, it's just not up to the task.
Ironically your older case is better than that model convection oven. If it's in good shape, keep it. Otherwise look for something with a front mesh panel like the Meshify C.

The 5600G is a nice pick but I'd go for the 5700 since you already have a graphics card. The 1070 still keeps up with some games at 1080p, it can even run Cyberpunk at a somewhat acceptable framerate, that's quite a feat you know.

Also, what power supply do you have, exactly? there are multiple 600W units from Corsair.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Don't do this. I can't say everything I want about that case in here because my post would be... 50% insults towards the case and company so I'll just want to say it's one of the worst cases made in the last decade, it's not THE worst in my list (that'd be the Xaser VI) but it's definitely near the top.

Not only is ridiculously expensive considering the overall quality of the materials used (cheapest plastic possible, low grade metal, bad rivets and more) but it completely lacks an air intake, the front fans are merely decorative, it's like if you were using one of those old Baby AT tower cases from the 90's with modern components, it's just not up to the task.
Ironically your older case is better than that model convection oven. If it's in good shape, keep it. Otherwise look for something with a front mesh panel like the Meshify C.

The 5600G is a nice pick but I'd go for the 5700 since you already have a graphics card. The 1070 still keeps up with some games at 1080p, it can even run Cyberpunk at a somewhat acceptable framerate, that's quite a feat you know.

Also, what power supply do you have, exactly? there are multiple 600W units from Corsair.
The 5700? The only CPU called 5700 is the 5700g and that has an igpu so that defeats the purpose of what you are saying. Also having an igpu can be really helpful if the GPU dies or something. Especially one as good as the 5600g.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
The 5700? The only CPU called 5700 is the 5700g and that has an igpu so that defeats the purpose of what you are saying. Also having an igpu can be really helpful if the GPU dies or something. Especially one as good as the 5600g.
oops, 5800. now that I think about it how come they haven't released regular versions of the 5600 and 5700?

if the price difference isn't huge it'd be better. The integrated graphics are indeed good for troubleshooting and light gaming but one you've got a card you don't want to go back to it

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
oops, 5800. now that I think about it how come they haven't released regular versions of the 5600 and 5700?

if the price difference isn't huge it'd be better. The integrated graphics are indeed good for troubleshooting and light gaming but one you've got a card you don't want to go back to it
yeah it's pretty annoying that AMD only has 5600g, 5700g, 5600x, 5800x, and so on. I wish they came out with a ryzen 3 or maybe a slightly worse ryzen 5 like a 5600. Idk what their deal is but it is what it is.

yeah it's pretty annoying that AMD only has 5600g, 5700g, 5600x, 5800x, and so on. I wish they came out with a ryzen 3 or maybe a slightly worse ryzen 5 like a 5600. Idk what their deal is but it is what it is.
If there is a 5600, 5700 or 5700X, what would it be? 5800 but slower bin? half L3 Cache count? The 5600G and 5700G is already a perfect product, they dont have to give the vega igpu, and would cost them cheaper, but in the Zen3 Premium, the price of 5600G/5700G is already cheap enough compared to their CPU only counterpart. The APU already gave us a good Architecture of Zen3, used Vega iGPU in it, packed in a monolithic chip which is pretty much beneficial to the user since it will spread the heat better, also cezanne have strong imc, no kidding.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 5600G isn't compatible with the B350 chipset. So to use that APU will require a motherboard change. If going that far, I'd suggest you rethink Ryzen and go Intel instead with a 12400 (not F) and B660 motherboard. Relatively little difference in price depending on mobo choice, but considerable difference in performance.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
If there is a 5600, 5700 or 5700X, what would it be? 5800 but slower bin? half L3 Cache count? The 5600G and 5700G is already a perfect product, they dont have to give the vega igpu, and would cost them cheaper, but in the Zen3 Premium, the price of 5600G/5700G is already cheap enough compared to their CPU only counterpart. The APU already gave us a good Architecture of Zen3, used Vega iGPU in it, packed in a monolithic chip which is pretty much beneficial to the user since it will spread the heat better, also cezanne have strong imc, no kidding.
As stated in my previous post I think there needs to be more lower-end ryzen 5000. I never mentioned a 5700, or 5700x. But anyways a 5600 could be a 5600g without the GPU and therefore cost less.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
As stated in my previous post I think there needs to be more lower-end ryzen 5000. I never mentioned a 5700, or 5700x. But anyways a 5600 could be a 5600g without the GPU and therefore cost less.
Not really. While the nomenclature is similar, the cpus are not. The 5600x is considerably faster and stronger than a 5600G. It's more than just the physical change in igpu like Intel xx and xxF models, there's also the loss of LCache in the 5600G, since that uses mostly system ram to make up the difference, apart from other architectural changes. Discounting any graphics, cpu vs cpu the 5600G comes up Well short of a 5600x in performance.

With somewhat similar architectures, it's pointless to have budget orientated 5xxx series Ryzens. Anything below a 5600x wouldn't be any different and probably worse than the 3600/3600x. It'd be like nvidia trying to sell a rtx3040 that gets stomped on all over by the rtx2060. Nobody would buy the 3040. AMD would need to release a 5400/5400x that's better than the 3600/3600x, and then argue pricing vs the 3700x. It'd be a real mess.

Last edited:

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Not really. While the nomenclature is similar, the cpus are not. The 5600x is considerably faster and stronger than a 5600G. It's more than just the physical change in igpu like Intel xx and xxF models, there's also the loss of LCache in the 5600G, since that uses mostly system ram to make up the difference, apart from other architectural changes. Discounting any graphics, cpu vs cpu the 5600G comes up Well short of a 5600x in performance
yeah, I know the 5600g is worse than the 5600x. That's why I'm saying the 5600 non-x could be like a 5600g without the igpu.