Chaotics and peacefuls

To the best of my knowledge (and the "Ways to Alter Alignment" section
of the Praying spoiler), if you attack a peaceful creature (thus
angering it) you lose one point of alignment. If you manage to kill it
in one turn, then you lose five points of alignment (in addition to the
aforementioned loss of 1 alignment point, I'd assume).

Is there any reason this isn't (or shouldn't be) mitigated for
chaotics? They are, well, *chaotic* after all. They don't obey social
norms, they don't play by the rules, and they're inconsistent. Not to
mention that Nethack seems to think that they are, generally, evil
(sacrificing one's own race: good; healing one's pet: bad). An
alignment bonus might be too much, but only applying the penalty to
neutrals and lawfuls seems more in line with those alignments.

(As a side note, this is very, very delayed whinging. I once had a
chaotic elven Ranger who, at level 20 or so, decided to take out
Minetown (save Izchak, of course). Many Minetown guards fell before my
Ranger's flurry of +5 poisoned elvish arrows. The cross-aligned priest
was assassinated from the doorway, and when I switched to Stormbringer,
I thought it strange that I was blasted by it's power. No matter, I'll
just sacrifice yon priest here and get some points back. Mercury
accepts my gift?! I'm converted? A lawful, elven archer? WHAT?!?!?!
Note to self, Stormbringer is telling you something when it blasts you
with it's power.)

On 4/20/05 11:45 AM, John Paxton wrote:
> [Alignment hits for attacking/killing peacefuls]
>
> Is there any reason this isn't (or shouldn't be) mitigated for
> chaotics? They are, well, *chaotic* after all. They don't obey social
> norms, they don't play by the rules, and they're inconsistent. Not to
> mention that Nethack seems to think that they are, generally, evil
> (sacrificing one's own race: good; healing one's pet: bad). An
> alignment bonus might be too much, but only applying the penalty to
> neutrals and lawfuls seems more in line with those alignments.

I think it's a game balance issue. Chaotics already avoid the "you
murderer" penalties, get out of Gehennom more easily, and in general
have fewer issues to deal with. Allowing them to kill peacefuls with
absolute impunity is a bit too much of an additional advantage. If you
allowed that, you'd need to add in more penalties for "lawful" behavior:
#chatting with peacefuls, perhaps even donating to priests. That might
put things back in line.

--
Kevin Wayne

"I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"Waters? What waters? We're in the desert?"
"I was misinformed."