Chapter / Scene structure

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

I am working on making some of my own videos/mini movies. Mostly
family-personal stuff. I am looking to develop a good method of working that
would adapt itself to possibly longer work. I am referring to breakdown of
chapter and scene development and video files and their respective sizes.
Currently I have done individual videos - with almost no menu work.

OK I'll get to my question:

Is it good to make my entire video one project, one video, add in all
chapter markers & render entire 2 hour movie? or work with my videos in
scene's (render separately as they are completed) and insert the scene's
into a larger video & chapter that (kind of projects with in a project
thing)? or
is there some other preferred method?

I don't know if there is any benefit to rendering smaller chunks and
assembling them. But at least there is quicker feedback to small changes.
i.e. I can change a small scene - render- view results in less time if scene
is only 2-3 minutes long. But if the entire two hour thing was one project -
I would have to render just a window of where my change would be. Same
result I suppose - I was just wondering advantages of one method over the
other.

Something akin to programming technique's & standards. The sooner good
habits are formed - the less time its going to take me to 'unlearn' bad
habits. If my question makes sense?

If this makes no sense please let me know I'll try to re-word it.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Jeff
--
"Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience comes from
bad judgment."

If you went to MGM one day, then Epcot another, and Disneyworld another,
then those would be separate movies. They may even have chapters within
them, but separate them from each other as separate subjects. If you are
making a documentary on Florida wildlife, that would be one movie, with
chapters within.

Just depends on the subject matter and digestible size of the movie.

Gary Eickmeier

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

OK, I had a feeling I was being too vague.

The program(s) I use include Premiere 6, a little Vegas, and even
VideoFactory for some stuff. But, I'm not so concerned about the program
used, as I am about workflow procedures. I'll explain:

I just got my upgrade to Premiere Pro, and am watching all the videos they
included with the prog, and noticed that the way they work a project is
nested. When the host opened his finished video, it was actually comprised
of a number of clips. Each clip was itself a project, that was opened to
reveal its source clips. And, I believe, each of those were projects that
could be opened up again. (3 levels deep). Now I never witnessed a "OK lets
render the whole project now" comment so I may still be missing something.
But I was thinking about the workflow. Each clip could be worked on, even by
different people (I'm thinking of dragging my brother-in-law in on some
work) independantly. Then just plugged into the final timeline.

When I work now, I keep all my intended clips on the master timeline. I only
have one project open and it has everything, trims, transitions, fades -
whatever. And the whole thing is saved only as one file.

Example: My daughters recital: 1+ hours of childrens songs, 2 cameras. I
inserted opening titles, the two videos, ending credits. clip - snip -
paste - drag. I have a finished 1 hour, 2 camera, video of the event.
Would it have made any sense to capture the individual songs separatly, edit
the individual songs as individual projects, and then add all the finished
songs to yet another project that has the titles & credits? I suppose that
would allow me to change the order of thte songs, by just moving segments
and not worrying about all the little clips/blends etc.

So that is why I was wondering what other people are doing. Workflow and
project management methods. Or does everyone just sit down at their stations
and have these wonderful project just come streaming out of their
heads....... (It sure does not stream out of mine ;-) Thats why I'm trying
to follow a method that would allow me to lay things out.

Thanks again for reading my babble - and any ideas you might have.
Jeff

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

"Snoopy" <Snoopy is not@home.com> wrote:

>I am working on making some of my own videos/mini movies. Mostly
>family-personal stuff. I am looking to develop a good method of working that
>would adapt itself to possibly longer work. I am referring to breakdown of
>chapter and scene development and video files and their respective sizes.
>Currently I have done individual videos - with almost no menu work.
>
>OK I'll get to my question:
>
>Is it good to make my entire video one project, one video, add in all
>chapter markers & render entire 2 hour movie? or work with my videos in
>scene's (render separately as they are completed) and insert the scene's
>into a larger video & chapter that (kind of projects with in a project
>thing)? or
>is there some other preferred method?
>
>I don't know if there is any benefit to rendering smaller chunks and
>assembling them. But at least there is quicker feedback to small changes.
>i.e. I can change a small scene - render- view results in less time if scene
>is only 2-3 minutes long. But if the entire two hour thing was one project -
>I would have to render just a window of where my change would be. Same
>result I suppose - I was just wondering advantages of one method over the
>other.
>
>Something akin to programming technique's & standards. The sooner good
>habits are formed - the less time its going to take me to 'unlearn' bad
>habits. If my question makes sense?
>
>If this makes no sense please let me know I'll try to re-word it.
>
>Thanks for everyone's input.
>

>Jeff

It might help others if they knew what program you are using.
If you are rending the whole project then you need a lot of hard disk
space.

Regards Brian

Snoopy wrote:

> OK, I had a feeling I was being too vague.
>
> The program(s) I use include Premiere 6, a little Vegas, and even
> VideoFactory for some stuff. But, I'm not so concerned about the program
> used, as I am about workflow procedures. I'll explain:
>
> I just got my upgrade to Premiere Pro, and am watching all the videos they
> included with the prog, and noticed that the way they work a project is
> nested. When the host opened his finished video, it was actually comprised
> of a number of clips. Each clip was itself a project, that was opened to
> reveal its source clips. And, I believe, each of those were projects that
> could be opened up again. (3 levels deep). Now I never witnessed a "OK lets
> render the whole project now" comment so I may still be missing something.
> But I was thinking about the workflow. Each clip could be worked on, even by
> different people (I'm thinking of dragging my brother-in-law in on some
> work) independantly. Then just plugged into the final timeline.
>
> When I work now, I keep all my intended clips on the master timeline. I only
> have one project open and it has everything, trims, transitions, fades -
> whatever. And the whole thing is saved only as one file.
>
> Example: My daughters recital: 1+ hours of childrens songs, 2 cameras. I
> inserted opening titles, the two videos, ending credits. clip - snip -
> paste - drag. I have a finished 1 hour, 2 camera, video of the event.
> Would it have made any sense to capture the individual songs separatly, edit
> the individual songs as individual projects, and then add all the finished
> songs to yet another project that has the titles & credits? I suppose that
> would allow me to change the order of thte songs, by just moving segments
> and not worrying about all the little clips/blends etc.
>
> So that is why I was wondering what other people are doing. Workflow and
> project management methods. Or does everyone just sit down at their stations
> and have these wonderful project just come streaming out of their
> heads....... (It sure does not stream out of mine ;-) Thats why I'm trying
> to follow a method that would allow me to lay things out.
>
> Thanks again for reading my babble - and any ideas you might have.
> Jeff

This is an entirely different question from your original. You were
talking about menus and chapters, and so I assumed you wanted to know
how to break up your subjects for use as titles in DVDs. If you wanted
to know how to work a single project in Premiere, then why didn't you
say so?

Gary Eickmeier

TRENDING THREADS