G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have a problem with accented characters. When I write myself, If I use
Times New Roman all accented characters will be changed to some strange
symbol. Even if I change the character with the dictionary program, it will
automatically change back to the strange symbols. This problem I have
overcome, by using ARIAL. The real problem is, that the e-mail I receive in a
foreign language, it has the same strange characters. I have also installed
on Oxford English-Spanish dictionary. Even the writing on this dictionary
gets changed from the original characters. This is an example (Desesperaciçn)
the o gets changed into a ç. Or an è gets also changed into ç. If I log into
a non English WWW site, even on those pages it will change the accented
characters to some strange simbols.
Please can anyone help???

--
Fabio
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:04:05 -0700, "duse"
<duse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a problem with accented characters. When I write myself, If I use
>Times New Roman all accented characters will be changed to some strange
>symbol. Even if I change the character with the dictionary program, it will
>automatically change back to the strange symbols. This problem I have
>overcome, by using ARIAL. The real problem is, that the e-mail I receive in a
>foreign language, it has the same strange characters. I have also installed
>on Oxford English-Spanish dictionary. Even the writing on this dictionary
>gets changed from the original characters. This is an example (Desesperaciçn)
>the o gets changed into a ç. Or an è gets also changed into ç. If I log into
>a non English WWW site, even on those pages it will change the accented
>characters to some strange simbols.
>Please can anyone help???
1 char is a byte with 8 bits like 10001101. How its
interpreted depends on what font is used- it may be ¿ in
Tamara but a > in Verdana or a squiggly thing in Hebrew. The
usual chars come out OK or close.

HTH-Larry

Any advise given is my attempt to show appreciation for all
the excellent help I've received here but I'm no MVP so it
may only apply NUGS (Normally, Usually, Generally, Sometimes :)
 

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
251
0
18,780
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Larry(LJL269)" <NO@EMAIL.COM> wrote on Sat, 10 Sep 2005:

>1 char is a byte with 8 bits like 10001101. How its
>interpreted depends on what font is used- it may be ¿ in
>Tamara but a > in Verdana or a squiggly thing in Hebrew. The
>usual chars come out OK or close.

This is not true for standard Windows fonts. There is no coding reason
why an è in Times New Roman should change and in Arial not.

Fabio, how are you accessing the accented characters? Are you using an
Alt+number combination, a program like AllChars, or do you have a
foreign language and keyboard installed? If so, which one?

If you are using Internet Explorer, what font setting do you have under
View > Encoding?

Can you give an example of a URL to a web page where you get this
problem?

--
Nightowl
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 00:32:46 +0100, Nightowl
<owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

>This is not true for standard Windows fonts. There is no coding reason
>why an è in Times New Roman should change and in Arial not
? is an Abar in Verdana( I just copied & pasted it)

Larry

Any advise given is my attempt to show appreciation for all
the excellent help I've received here but I'm no MVP so it
may only apply NUGS (Normally, Usually, Generally, Sometimes :)
 

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
251
0
18,780
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Larry(LJL269)" <NO@EMAIL.COM> wrote on Sun, 11 Sep 2005:

>On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 00:32:46 +0100, Nightowl
><owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
>
>>This is not true for standard Windows fonts. There is no coding reason
>>why an è in Times New Roman should change and in Arial not

>? is an Abar in Verdana( I just copied & pasted it)

Not here it isn't. I typed a row of ?????? using Times New Roman in
Notepad, selected them and changed font to Verdana. They remained a row
of question marks.

Check in Character Map: question mark is U+003F in both Times NR and
Verdana.

--
Nightowl