Question Charging issues with Lenovo Ideapad 500 laptop from 2015

Jan 4, 2020
back in November I took my primary laptop to college with me since I misplaced the charger for my other one. however, I noticed it stopped charging in the port...I moved it around, jiggled the charger output, and it started working--then it stopped. It died when I got home until I put it on a desk in my room and since then it has remained at 100% mostly (sometimes it'll go from 100 to 94 to 100 while in the charger port but that's not something I'm worried about). A few times (like just a few minutes ago) it stops charging for a minute until I, again, move the charger output or the wire, and it starts going again.

But what bothers me is that prior to bringing it to college this wasn't an issue. Did the battery become loose? I wouldn't think this is a charger issue since it still charges. Any help on this would be appreciated--I would like for this laptop to become mobile again. Apologies if this happens to be a duplicate btw. I couldnt find anything specifically related to my problem.

EDIT: I noticed the wire for my keyboard was touching the end of the charger as it was plugged in. If that's the case then it uncharges when that part of the wire makes contact with something else; giving the output a push into the port fixes it. Awaiting to see if the issue persists now.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums!

The issue is not with the battery but with the charging port and the pin located on the charger's output. You should be able to source a replacement charger but often times the issue can also be a compounding of the charger as well as the charging input on the laptop's end.

Jan 4, 2020
huh. didn't think there'd be a solution to this...specific problem. It still does it but again, pushing it into the port gets it working. I'll try purchasing a new charger online (I know where to find one), if that does not work then I'll get someone who knows how to disassemble a computer to follow along that video. even though this computer is 4 years old it has a lot of important things on it so I still need to keep it around for a few more years. thanks a lot

TRENDING THREADS