ananthj

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Hi,
Need some advice on the case cooling option on my build (have done this after 6 years). My build has
- intel i52500k
- Hyper 212plu cooler
- Diamond 5770 graphics card
- Corsair tx650
- Coolermaster elite 430 (HAF versions cost between $150 to $200 here)

The chasis has a bottom PSU design and I installed corsair PSU with the fan pointing up.The two chassis fans are in the front and rear with the front pulling in air
and the rear pushing it out. the cpu cooler is pushing the air to the rear.
My big oops moment came when I fixed the graphics card- the fan pushes air down towards the PSU. So basically the air movement seems to be a mess.

Any advice to rectify without case change (cant get a refund)
I was thinking to make the front and rear fans the opposite orientation so that the front now pushes out and rear pulls in outside air.

Thanks
Ananth

Solution

He should flip the PSU so it draws cool air in from the underside of the case, and exhausts it straight out the back. This would prevent any heat from the GPU affecting the PSU and visa-vera. :)

inerax

Distinguished

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Usually front and side fans are intake fans (suck air into the case). Rear and roof fans are exhaust (blowing air out of the case).

The case you have (CoolerMaster Elite 430) can have the fan mounted either way up, since it has a mesh base id mount it so that the fan is on the bottom of the case, this way it will be drawing cold air in from under the case, and sending warm air out the rear of the case.

Your graphics card should cool itself in whichever way its designed too so i wouldnt worry too much about this.

Cable management - tidy your cables and cable tie them as much as possible and try to route them around the edges of the case so they dont obstruct the cool air being blown in.

HWMonitor is a great tool you can download free in order to keep and eye on your hardware temperatures. Unless your experiencing something unusually high, i wouldnt worry about it.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

He should flip the PSU so it draws cool air in from the underside of the case, and exhausts it straight out the back. This would prevent any heat from the GPU affecting the PSU and visa-vera. :)

Solution

ananthj

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

Thanks. Have tried to keep the cables as neat as possible and used lots of ties. I have a ASUS z68 mobo and atleast they did provide plenty of those (tried to get modular PSU but could not have the ones I wanted in Corsair for the wattage I wanted :( )
Just so that I am clear about your suggestion (sorry english is not my first language) - I will have a front fan pulling in , a bottom fan pulling in air and get a additional one and either mount it on the rear or top.

Will try the HWmonitor software. Thank you.

ananthj

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

Thanks -That is another option that makes sense. I was confused at the time of installing and did some search with the consensus being point the fan upwards.
OK- the options
option 1- add a bottom or side fan to pullin air
option 2- reorient PSU

ananthj

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

Thanks - have added a third option for my reconfiguration. Wow- did not expect expect so many helpful answers so fast. This is a great forum.

ananthj

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Thanks @adrian, @Wolfshadw,
Have flipped the PSU and and have got a fan for the side (not installed yet)- running it 24 hours with a few benchmarks and have not seen temps go beyond 50 deg celsius (BTW what should be my point of concern). I have tentatively started overclocking and so far so good.