Chassis Fan Header loose?

Thunderbuckus

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
Alright, so, I was building my first computer tonight. I had done a lot of hardware upgrades and maintenance before on my old computer, so I thought I was ready to start building my own. My question only pertains to the motherboard, which is a eVGA 680i SLI motherboard. I was nearing completion, and I had been up for over 24 hours due to some work stuff and my willfulness to complete my project at least before I went to sleep (still haven't, but I want to post this first). I got everything installed, even if it was a little bit cramped and a bit of a stretch for two of the power cords. I am going to get extensions ASAP.

Anyhow, I was doing some cord maintenance when one of the clumps of cords that I was trying to wrap together and move out of the way was kind of stuck on something. I applied a slight amount of pressure, and I realize that I might be hurting something. I look, and one of the headers? (Im not sure what they are called, the cylindrical objects that stick out of the Motherboard, in this case, in the very bottom right corner) is slightly bent. Not very much, mind you, you probably wouldn't even tell if I had left it. But, because Im an idiot and a perfectionist, I figured that if I should push it back in to place, lest it screw something up.

It was the one, I believe, labeled "Chassis Fan Header." Like I said, I pushed it back very gently and slightly, but I think I made it looser. I wasn't sure what to do, so I left it and finished putting everything in and together and etc. I booted up to the BIOS set up, just to see if it works. And thats when I exited. I am going to do that tomorrow. But I want to make sure I didn't mess up anything too badly.

What should I do? Is this awful?

Also, another question, my 8 pin Power cord is slightly resting on the nVIDIA MCP, is that bad? The reason is because the cord had to go under my Video Card for it to reach, there was absolutely no other way, without getting an extension, which I am getting. So it's temporary, but should it not be touching at all?

I feel really helpless and noob right now. =(

PS - Extensions for 8 pin power cords are okay, right?

If you are getting in the Bios, the motherboard is okay.
We have all made mistakes at some time, some worse than yours.

Use cable ties to keep the wires away from heat and fan baldes, etc.
Wire extensions are okay. Buy from a reputable store. Most are wired correctly when you buy them.

Thunderbuckus

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
Whew. Alright, thank you. Im probably just overreacting since its my first time. I don't think its loose to the point of falling off, but Im not going back to check it. lol.

Yeah, like I said, I was doing some wire maintenance when I pushed it. I got two large clumps that are tied together right now. I'll go back and make it better later. It seems to work well now as far as air flow, but Im not an expert. I will post pictures in the New Build forum soon.

I guess that everything else is okay, too, since I got into the BIOS.

The only other thing that I am not positive I did right was the entire processor and heatsink process; applying the thermal paste (I think I might have done too much paste) and then mounting the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme to the motherboard, ontop of the processor. It seems sturdy. It moves slightly if pressured enough, but I centered it again.

Also, pushing the processor socket down with the arm down ontop of the processor into the socket, it seemed like I was applying a lot of pressure, which bothered me.

But I guess everything works, so I have nothing to fix.