Chassis Fan Header

Jul 2, 2018
I was testing my pc to see if the chassis fans would turn on and when I press the power switch a small smoke came out the header, I freak and thought I had fried my pc however I have an ASUS Z-370a mobo so it has RGB on it and I didnt try off. What couldve caused this?

Solution
Only cause, that i can think of, for the smoke coming out from MoBo fan header is when you overload MoBo fan header by connecting way too many fans to it.

Most MoBo fan headers are rated for 1A at 12V. If you connect e.g 4x fans to it where each fan has rating of 0.3A, you'd get total of 1.2A, effectively overloading MoBo fan header and frying it. Also, smoke is byproduct of something getting fried.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Only cause, that i can think of, for the smoke coming out from MoBo fan header is when you overload MoBo fan header by connecting way too many fans to it.

Most MoBo fan headers are rated for 1A at 12V. If you connect e.g 4x fans to it where each fan has rating of 0.3A, you'd get total of 1.2A, effectively overloading MoBo fan header and frying it. Also, smoke is byproduct of something getting fried.

Solution