[SOLVED] Chassis fan not recognised by motherboard

Dec 20, 2020
First of all :
Motherboard : Asus P5G41T-M LX

So I found out that there's a 3 pin Chassis Fan port on the motherboard. So I bought a 3 pin fan for better cooling. But after plugging in, it seems like the computer doesn't recognises it. BIOS shows nothing about the fan. Only option for the chassis fan speed is N/A and ignored. I tried some software like OpenHardware and also, it only recognises the CPU fan but not the chassis fan. The fan is running btw, at full speed I think, cause its very loud. Please send help....

Thank you in advance.

Solution
According to the manual for that mobo, the 3-pin CHA_FAN header does NOT support the automatic Q-FAN speed control feature. That is, it will only run your fan at full speed all the time. You have three options.

1. Keep using the fan and ignore the sound. The good air flow is what you need.
  2. Try to buy a quieter 3-pin fan. Noctua makes some good ones.
  3. Replace the 3-pin fan with a 4-pin model, AND buy a 4-pin fan Splitter. User that to connect both the new case fan and the CPU fan to the same CPU_FAN header. This will put the speed of BOTH fans under automatic control based on the temperature inside your CPU chip.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
According to the manual for that mobo, the 3-pin CHA_FAN header does NOT support the automatic Q-FAN speed control feature. That is, it will only run your fan at full speed all the time. You have three options.

1. Keep using the fan and ignore the sound. The good air flow is what you need.
  2. Try to buy a quieter 3-pin fan. Noctua makes some good ones.
  3. Replace the 3-pin fan with a 4-pin model, AND buy a 4-pin fan Splitter. User that to connect both the new case fan and the CPU fan to the same CPU_FAN header. This will put the speed of BOTH fans under automatic control based on the temperature inside your CPU chip.

Reactions: prateek320i
Solution