Chassis fans and Asus PRIME-Z270-A

erdim54

Prominent
Jun 21, 2017
I have a question for anyone who can tell me if I can make this work. So I have 3 chassis fans with 3 pin connectors on them, I think what I did with my last mobo is plug them into the 4 pin system fan connections on the board and it would work.

This mobo here that I'm likely going to buy says it has "2 x Chassis Fan connector(s) (2 x 4 -pin)" for my third chassis fan I'm assuming I'll need an adaptor to get it working? Or is there somewhere else I can plug that in too?

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-Z270-A/specifications/

1 x Aura RGB Strip Header 1 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 connector(s) support(s) additional 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s) (19-pin) 3 x USB 2.0 connector(s) support(s) additional 6 USB 2.0 port(s) 1 x M.2 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA mode & X4 PCIE mode) 1 x M.2 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE mode only) 6 x SATA 6Gb/s connector(s) 1 x CPU Fan connector(s) (1 x 4 -pin) 1 x CPU OPT Fan connector(s) (1 x 4 -pin) 2 x Chassis Fan connector(s) (2 x 4 -pin) 1 x Thunderbolt header(s) 1 x 24-pin EATX Power connector(s) 1 x 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector(s) 1 x EZ XMP switch 1 x Front panel audio connector(s) (AAFP) 1 x System panel(s) (Q-Connector) (Chassis intrusion header is inbuilt) 1 x 5-pin EXT_FAN(Extension Fan) connector 1 x MemOK! button(s) 1 x CPU OV 1 x Power-on button(s) 1 x Clear CMOS jumper(s) 1 x 14-1 pin TPM connector 1 x COM port header 1 x High AMP Fan header (4-pin) 1 x T_Sensor Connector 1 x AIO PUMP Header 2 x 3D Mount screw port(s)

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017
They aren't usually in the way. There are different styles too, some are more flexible than others.

hPiTWl0.png

2Yi3LpL.png

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017
If they aren't otherwise being used, you should be able to connect case fans to CPU_OPT, H_AMP_FAN, and AIO_PUMP as well.

Their running speed and software control may vary though. I would use SpeedFan (or something similar) to do software control in that case.

Sedivy

Estimable
As was pointed out you actually have 5 fan headers beside your cpu one, and one fan header for the external fan. This external one is different but the rest seem like standard 4 pin pwm support fan headers, even the chassis ones. Maybe the max amperage will vary on them but I don't see why any of them wouldn't work. You should be able to adjust from bios whether they function as dc/voltage or as pwm. Just because they call them different things doesn't mean you can't use them for chassis fans.

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017

This.

The only issue I was thinking of is I like my chassis fans to run together, which might be a bit tricky if they are all on different headers.

Sedivy

Estimable
Well...that is true but it depends on the mobo bios and windows utility that the mobo manufacturer has developed. You can make your own profiles for each fan header, but the utility for my board allows me to make one profile and then upload the same profile for every fan header (except the cpu one which saves it in a different file format for obvious reasons). That ends up with exact result you're talking about, without any hardware modification on my end. What also may differ is what temperature sensor the fan header is set to respond to by default. Some boards will not let you change this, and some gaming boards absolutely allow you to set your own temp sensor for each header, for example cpu temp vs sys temp and so on. So really it all depends on what he sees in bios and in the utility asus gives him. Looking at the support page for his board though I don't see the utility he needs. Bios...from what I can tell just googling:
http://www.legitreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/ASUS-Prime-Z270-A-BIOS-EZ-Mode.jpg
https://dlcdnimgs.asus.com/websites/global/products/raDdHADFSa42GEuM/images/optimized/op-pic2.png
https://www.pcper.com/files/imagecache/article_max_width/review/2017-01-02/04-161230214605.jpg
He can choose the profiles, and the temp source and also pwm vs voltage so he should be good just from bios.