Chassis Fans - Some Questions

Aug 4, 2018
I plan on buying these two for my build:

Case: Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Motherboard: Asus ROG Zenith Extreme

The case supports multiple fans, and that's where my questions begin:

1.- I can put either in the front, 3x 120mm or 2x 200mm fans, which of those two options would be better in terms of airflow if both provide 75 CFM per fan?

2.- How many fan connectors (or however that's called) does that motherboars has?

3.- What's the difference between a 3 Pin and a 3/4 Pin power connector?

4.- If my motherboard, say, has two fan power connectors but I plan on buying 6+ fans, what do I do?

Thank you very much in advance! :)

Solution
1) Personal choice but I'd go with two 200mm fans. Lower RPM = less noise but still pumps out more air than 3x120 running at the same RPM. In terms of airflow it really doesn't matter.

2) That motherboard has 4 fan connectors. 1 for the CPU fan, 1 for a water pump (but you can use it for a fan if you want) and 2 for the chassis. They all appears to be 4-Pin connectors.

3) 3-Pin is controlled by voltage only. 4-Pin has a fined tuned fan control ability. They are cross useable a 3 pin fan on a 3 pin port will run in 3-pin mode. And a 4-pin fan on a 3-pin port will run in 3-pin mode. Regardless get 4-pin fans.

4) You can get a fan splitter cables or an internal fan hub. I use this one personally...
1) Personal choice but I'd go with two 200mm fans. Lower RPM = less noise but still pumps out more air than 3x120 running at the same RPM. In terms of airflow it really doesn't matter.

2) That motherboard has 4 fan connectors. 1 for the CPU fan, 1 for a water pump (but you can use it for a fan if you want) and 2 for the chassis. They all appears to be 4-Pin connectors.

3) 3-Pin is controlled by voltage only. 4-Pin has a fined tuned fan control ability. They are cross useable a 3 pin fan on a 3 pin port will run in 3-pin mode. And a 4-pin fan on a 3-pin port will run in 3-pin mode. Regardless get 4-pin fans.

4) You can get a fan splitter cables or an internal fan hub. I use this one personally. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999309&cm_re=silverstone_fan_hub-_-11-999-309-_-Product

Solution

tejayd

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018
2 x 200. Bigger fans are generally quieter. They will move much more air than 3 x 120mm at the same rpm. I've never used 1, but I'm thinking you might want to look into one of those fan controllers for that many fans. I've use splitters for fans connected to the mobo. Just never that many.