Chassis intruded. Fatal error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bxyzxyz

Prominent
Jun 19, 2017
Hi guys. I am using asus h87m-e and it's an old board that I am trying to build for fun.

In the manual there is no chassis intrusion headers and I can't seem to find the pins to put jumper on.

Here is the link of my mobo.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/4GkA8

I suspect that this four points or whatever is the cha_det headers but there is no pins for me to put my jumper.

Can any kind soul pls help?

Solution
I looked in your manual and that spot you showed us is only for an internal speaker. It is used for beep codes to tell you what is wrong with the motherboard.

You need some kind of backplate for whatever you are using for cooling. If you installed one, is it possible you installed it upside down with the metal touching the board? Anything that is metal on the motherboard touching the metal of the case or the backplate would be a chassis intrusion.

Did you use this board in the past? Or was it given or bought used?

jensrobot

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
Hello
I don't think that motherboard has any chassis jumpers. Looked through the manual, and no mention in the jumpers section. I always thought of this like an more exotic feature, mostly found in OEM pc's.
Out of curiosity, why do you need this feature if its a "build for fun" pc?

DarkSliders

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
Seems like you might have to go through all the pins on your motherboard, although there should be none for chassis intrusion. Look for text that says something like "CHA_DET". (Don't know if you just didn't find it in the manual, or didn't find it on the board overall)

Perhaps flashing your BIOS could help you out, as most boards with chassis intrusion jumpers also include a setting for it inside BIOS.

Kenton82

Reputable
Just my tuppence worth. I have the same problem as this whenever i do any real work on my MOBO. Luckily for me though, when i get the error, iturn off, wait a few mins and switch back on again. And it boots.
There is nothing attached to the chassis intrusion pins on mine, and it has always confused the hell out of me. According to articles i have read, it seems to be something unique to Asus boards...??

Good luck sourcing the solution to this mate, will keep an eye on this thread!
K.

DarkSliders

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014

Have you ever tried shorting the CMOS jumpers in response to that error? If so did it work?
(Or am I confused?)

Kenton82

Reputable

I haven't as it goes mate, as every time it happens i just switch off and re-boot. Seems to clear itself upon the re-boot - with no errors posted either! Very odd....

Bxyzxyz

Prominent
Jun 19, 2017
I didn't find any cha_det. Only suspected the one place that I link with images.

I will try to flash the bios because there isn't any chassis intrusion detect options.

Does not installing the backplate start the chassis intrusion? Or screwing all screws into it

urbancamper

Distinguished
I looked in your manual and that spot you showed us is only for an internal speaker. It is used for beep codes to tell you what is wrong with the motherboard.

You need some kind of backplate for whatever you are using for cooling. If you installed one, is it possible you installed it upside down with the metal touching the board? Anything that is metal on the motherboard touching the metal of the case or the backplate would be a chassis intrusion.

Did you use this board in the past? Or was it given or bought used?

Solution
No, chassis intrusion detection is on most motherboards (in my MSI Z87 too) which can be turned on/off from bios. (yes, new Z270's have it too, referred to as JCI1)
It requires unshorting to not detect chassis as "open" The connector is not really visible on your photo (the 4 pins is for speaker I think)
and also, requires that the case has microswitch on it to detect if side panel is opened or not.

To clear it, either reset CMOS and enter BIOS or clear the warning in BIOS. (or possibly turn the feature off, since most don't need it)

Edit: Looking at your motherboard manual:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/H87M-E/E8197_H87M-E.pdf
It makes no mention of chassis intrusion switch or it's connector.. So either it's been one of the random "bugs" on BIOS update or... something.
Still worth checking the security area of the BIOS settings for turning it off/clearing it.

so.. To BIOS, settings/security > chassis intrusion configuration

DarkSliders

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
Check that the motherboard stands do not have any scratches. I believe they are be enameled, like coil wires, any scratches in the stands means that the metal is exposed and conducting.

urbancamper

Distinguished

I went through the manual twice. also took a very close look at the motherboard. Could not find that header.

He siad it was an old board. Did not say where it came from. Wondering if it has the wrong bios on it.

Bxyzxyz

Prominent
Jun 19, 2017
Guys, I basically found out the problem. Even though my back IO plate does fit, I cut some holes and made it kinda fit along the border of the casing. Then the chassis intrusion thing stopped coming forever.

Thanks for all other suggestions thou

Kenton82

Reputable

Fair play to you mate. Thanks for sharing your findings! :)

urbancamper

Distinguished

I mentioned problems with the backplate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS