[SOLVED] Cheap 3080 vs top tier 3070?

Nov 30, 2020
Hello,

Working on a fresh gaming build and was planning on buying ASUS ROG Strix 3070 ($839 CAD), however I noticed the Gigabyte Eagle OC 10G 3080 is only $110 CAD more expensive at $949. Would it be worth it to go to the "cheap" 3080? I understand the cheaper units may have worse cooling/fans, etc but not sure i fully understand enough to make this decision.

Additional context:
- No hard budget, so the extra cost wont be taking away from other components
- Running i7-9700k, will likely do some light overclocking, but all within easy mode safe levels, nothing intense
- Not dead set on 4k gaming, but for that price seems like it may be worth having the option to (Would upgrade to 4k monitor in the near future)

Thanks!

Solution
I've seen on numerous lists the ROG STRIX is a top performer among 3070s and 3080s, so perhaps that justifies the increase over MSRP, though at that close a price to 3080 it seems like a logical jump if there isn't a large drawback to the "low tier" 3080.
No bloody way. A 150USD markup on a card that's not even a hybrid, nor custom liquid cooled model: 'get out of here with that nonsense' - not aimed at you, OP, but Asus.

Wasn't hard to find one at all.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ivWfdJs4BU
Nov 30, 2020
I've seen on numerous lists the ROG STRIX is a top performer among 3070s and 3080s, so perhaps that justifies the increase over MSRP, though at that close a price to 3080 it seems like a logical jump if there isn't a large drawback to the "low tier" 3080.

Hello,

Working on a fresh gaming build and was planning on buying ASUS ROG Strix 3070 ($839 CAD), however I noticed the Gigabyte Eagle OC 10G 3080 is only $110 CAD more expensive at $949. Would it be worth it to go to the "cheap" 3080? I understand the cheaper units may have worse cooling/fans, etc but not sure i fully understand enough to make this decision.

Additional context:
  • No hard budget, so the extra cost wont be taking away from other components
  • Running i7-9700k, will likely do some light overclocking, but all within easy mode safe levels, nothing intense
  • Not dead set on 4k gaming, but for that price seems like it may be worth having the option to (Would upgrade to 4k monitor in the near future)

Thanks!

I'd say go for the 3080. I'd much rather have the extra CUDA cores and VRAM than a great cooling solution.

Reactions: spentshells

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No bloody way. A 150USD markup on a card that's not even a hybrid, nor custom liquid cooled model: 'get out of here with that nonsense' - not aimed at you, OP, but Asus.

Wasn't hard to find one at all.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ivWfdJs4BU

Solution

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
I have a 3070 rog strix been using it for 2 days now and it's destroying everything at 1080p max settings on a 240hz IPS monitor. It's unbelievably cold and quiet plus it looks really nice in the case, it's also is HUGE like really HUGE lol. I have no regrets and I was going to go for a cheap 3080. But If I was going 4k or even 1440p I would probs of went the 3080 if the cooling reviews are solid on selected card.

kj22ER.jpg