Cheap build that can be upgraded later

Shouxx

Reputable
Jul 19, 2016
As explained almost in full by the title, I need a build that would be good for gaming right now, and would be easy to upgrade later. I'm hoping to fit in a 1060 in this build and my budget is 600, but can stretch to 700-750 if the need arises. I already have a build that I threw together with out thinking too much about it, link - http://pcpartpicker.com/list/pzNcqk

Edit - No need for peripherals

Solution
Things that are very easy to upgrade. Memory and Graphics card
less easy - upgrade HDD to SSD
difficult and time consuming to upgrade - CPU and motherboard.

Things which are rapidly getting cheaper from year to year.. memory and GPU and SSD
Things which are staying the same price - processor and motherboard

Therefore, get a CPU and motherboard which will last you a long time, save money on memory and GPU, then upgrade the memory and GPU later.
If you get an i5 processor, it will probably last you 5-10 YEARS before you need to upgrade it. Any i5 will do, they are all really fast.
An SSD is expensive, but it makes your PC soooo much faster that I still recommend you get one to start with

lodders

Admirable
Things that are very easy to upgrade. Memory and Graphics card
less easy - upgrade HDD to SSD
difficult and time consuming to upgrade - CPU and motherboard.

Things which are rapidly getting cheaper from year to year.. memory and GPU and SSD
Things which are staying the same price - processor and motherboard

Therefore, get a CPU and motherboard which will last you a long time, save money on memory and GPU, then upgrade the memory and GPU later.
If you get an i5 processor, it will probably last you 5-10 YEARS before you need to upgrade it. Any i5 will do, they are all really fast.
An SSD is expensive, but it makes your PC soooo much faster that I still recommend you get one to start with

Solution

chizrah

Respectable
Jun 25, 2016
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI B150M BAZOOKA Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($64.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($42.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($60.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GT OC Video Card ($249.99)
Case: Zalman Z3 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($65.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($35.00)
Total: $791.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-25 16:23 EDT-0400

Also maybe spend an extra 50 bucks and get a 6600K, Z170 Motherboard and CPU cooler. It may be more expensive now but you save yourself quite a lot in the long run due to the increased lifespan that overclocking can provide.

Shouxx

Reputable
Jul 19, 2016

As a new builder and PC gamer I do not plan to overclock, unless it will up my performance by a noticeable bit, will it?

chizrah

Respectable
Jun 25, 2016

You won't see too much of an increase in performance in games right now, but a couple years down the line, it can squeeze a little extra life out of your chip.