[SOLVED] Cheap but good motherboard for a Ryzen 5 3600?

denislenut

Reputable
Jun 16, 2018
Im looking for a decent motherboard thats not really expensive, something for less than 150€.
Im not really sure about which motherboard should I pick since a friend of mine owned a Ryzen 2600 and it couldnt reach its boost frequency due to the motherboard vrms if Im not wrong. I want a motherboard that can handle the 4.2Ghz of my 3600 so I can get the full potential out of my 3600, Im not gonna be overclocking so I dont think I need a really expensive board, just something able to handle my CPU, preferably from Gigabyte.

Solution
i went with the b450 aorus pro wifi for my 3700x. no idea what it costs in your area but it was $119 when i bought it from newegg. it's got no issues boosting beyond normal speeds with PBO enabled. there is also a non wifi version that saves some if you don't need the built in wifi. the arous elite is another option that is pretty much the same as these other 2.

the b550 version of the aorus elite is not too much more in the US and offers higher ram speed compatibility and of course the pcie 4.0 lanes if you ever want to use them. but if the cost is more than $20 or so, i'd just go with the b450 models myself. it'll be a long time before pcie 4.0 ssd's are cheap enough to consider on a budget.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i went with the b450 aorus pro wifi for my 3700x. no idea what it costs in your area but it was $119 when i bought it from newegg. it's got no issues boosting beyond normal speeds with PBO enabled. there is also a non wifi version that saves some if you don't need the built in wifi. the arous elite is another option that is pretty much the same as these other 2.

the b550 version of the aorus elite is not too much more in the US and offers higher ram speed compatibility and of course the pcie 4.0 lanes if you ever want to use them. but if the cost is more than $20 or so, i'd just go with the b450 models myself. it'll be a long time before pcie 4.0 ssd's are cheap enough to consider on a budget.

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Boost frequency is only for a single core. You will never see your CPU boost to the rated boost frequency, on all cores.

not really true. mine regularly boosts all cores to 4.4 ghz and that's all 8 cores of the 3700x. i do have PBO turned on which i am pretty sure is needed. i'm even running the stock cooler still so not even a cooling thing. though my case does have great airflow and 4 fans moving air around nicely on top of the cpu, gpu and psu fans.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that's interesting. makes me wonder. never benchmarked it or anything but i have kept an eye on it. i do have to get a bunch of stuff running to fill up the threads but once done i see all cores running at 4.4.

guess i got lucky for once