Cheap, but Powerful Computer Rig? First Timer Questions

Raven Ocara

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
Hey guys,
I will be building my first computer within the year and I would like something that is cheap, but runs great. I play a lot of video games in my spare time and I do a lot of video editing; so getting the most bang for my buck is essential. I went onto PC part picker and built my machine through there. Here is a link to the specs I was planning on using: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Crypto6/saved/3w0N

So my first question is: Is there anything I am missing? Such as the sound card for example. I heard motherboards also have sound cars that come with so I didn't bother adding on a sound card. Especially since I plan on using external computer speakers anyway. Just small things like that. I already included a CPU fan, but would I need anything else for cooling or etc.?

My second question is: Is there anything I could replace that would be better? I WILL NOT go over the limit of $750 for my computer. I know I could get better things for more money, but right now, $750 or below is what I can afford. I already upgraded the graphics. Originally, I was going to go with a Geforce 650 Graphics card, but with new cards coming out what seems like every week, I figured it would be better in the long run for me if I just bought a Geforce 760. I already know that the card runs most, if not all games on high settings. And I am pretty sure it will run videos on highest settings as well.

And my third question is this: Can you give me any tips on my first build? Is there any computer building kits I should look into or tools I will nee?. I planned on buying the computer and having my friend help me build it, but any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

A few things you may also want to take note of:
I am on the computer for long periods of time. I play games a lot and I make videos. I use programs like the Adobe Suite, and so I usually push my current computer over its limits when I do too much editing (too many layers, too much activity, etc.) on After Effects and sometimes Sony Vegas. I use A LOT of USB ports, such as for WebCam, Keyboard and Mouse,adapters, etc. And I personally just enjoy fast computers that very rarely freeze or have errors.

also why you would buy those two hard drives instead of just a 1tb caviar blue .....

also why you would use the 760g chipset and an older athlon instead of getting a newer 790 and fx cpu...

honestly it seems like you cut back everywhere else to stuff in a gtx760 and its going to hurt you in the long run.

until you are about a week or so away from the build time (and even then prices can change daily!) i wouldnt put together anything too solid. until then all you can do is get a few ideas. also i would NOT buy it here and there but all at once. if you buy it piecemeal and a part is doa its much more of a hassle since you need to deal with the vendor instead of just RMA to lets say newegg..

Raven Ocara

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
I want two hard drives because I like the idea of having a backup in case the other fries or etc. It is nice to have my computer backup stored on another drive. A 760 is used because it still runs just great in the current age and date and I personally don't want to spend $400 for a 790 when even the 650 models are still doing just fine. A 790 will only delay the time I need to upgrade to a new graphic card by like a few months. I just do not see the point in spending the extra money when I can afford an older model that still runs even the newest of games on high settings for now. I saw a 650 have almost great framerate on Crysis 3. I honestly almost just stuck with a 650, but I decided to do 760.

Mike Friesen

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ TigerDirect)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.97 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Value 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.67 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($179.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ TigerDirect)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $737.56
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-22 19:18 EST-0500)

This should be better in video editing, because of the more ram and better cpu, and less cpu bound in gaming. However, it does have a weaker gpu. your call

Solution
@mike

thats along the lines of what i was thinking however...

if you trim a bit of cash here or there it might be possible to boost the gpu up just a bit.

buy win7 on ebay for $79 f/s (saves $8)
buy an oem dvd drive at microcenter for $13 (saves $2)
buy a cheaper case for $30 (cougar solution) (saves $8)

that saves $18 right there... and including the $12 not used in the budget thats $30 which could be used for a gpu upgrade to a 270x or a gtx650 ti boost edition.

of course this doesnt count if you use a cheaper motherboard and save money there (while still keeping a 970 chipset) or if you manage a better deal on ram (i see kits for $130 for 16gb at times which saves $10 there)