[SOLVED] Cheap (but still better than onboard) usb sound card for linux?

EvilHamster

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
Hi all,

I have heard that the onboard audio on many a cheap motherboard/laptop is actually rather damaging to the ears. As such, I thought I would buy a (potentially used) audio card to avoid that. I have no further requirements on these sound cards, other than to protect the ears.

Unfortunately, I do not know the first thing about sound cards. I know that sound baster is a company that makes them, but I do not even know any other company. Unlike with graphics cards, where comparisons are easy (websites) and the naming gives you a clear indication on the quality etc. of the item, sound cards have remained a mystery to me.

I was hoping that you guys could help me out.

I have selected a few options, but have virtually 0 ideas on how they actually are, or even if the will do what I want them to...

Oh yeah... I want to use them on linux and I have heard that the external ones (USB) are in general much more compatible with linux.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/External...675263?hash=item46b218b87f:g:1eEAAOSwQY1fH99i

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-6-Ch...871805?hash=item2d0f56bffd:g:Ga4AAOSw2PVe8K6F

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Creative...040059&hash=item3b340ccf99:g:NIMAAOSwArNdLqpJ

Help would be appreciated. Cheers.

Solution
Cheers.

What I have heard is that, due to "mini-spikes", the audio at certain frequencies could jump rather massively, around 80db for split seconds. Often too short to even really hear it, other than that it feels unpleasant to listen to-, and in a few minutes (10-15) the ears start to hurt a little. And that this could be damaging the ears over time.

No idea if it is true...
If "spikes" were prone to onboard audio, it would be prone to usb, pci, or any other source that uses the same power source. I think that it's bull, and if it had some sort of validity, you would be able to find some sort of article or paper stating such a problem(I can't find anything). Perhaps the article by the WHO has been distorted such that...

EvilHamster

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
I have never heard of ear damage from onboard audio, maybe jokingly. At most, you could get hearing loss from the audio being too loud, but not from a poor quality audio source itself.
Cheers.

What I have heard is that, due to "mini-spikes", the audio at certain frequencies could jump rather massively, around 80db for split seconds. Often too short to even really hear it, other than that it feels unpleasant to listen to-, and in a few minutes (10-15) the ears start to hurt a little. And that this could be damaging the ears over time.

No idea if it is true...

Cheers.

No idea if it is true...
If "spikes" were prone to onboard audio, it would be prone to usb, pci, or any other source that uses the same power source. I think that it's bull, and if it had some sort of validity, you would be able to find some sort of article or paper stating such a problem(I can't find anything). Perhaps the article by the WHO has been distorted such that some people have misunderstood what they meant by 85dB or 100dB for 15 minutes.

Reactions: EvilHamster
Solution

TRENDING THREADS