Cheap case vs Expensive case???

jake

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001

Cases come in an almost infinite variety of designs. What are the
justifying factors for spending a lot more on an expensive case, not
counting the differences in power supplies?

jm

tooless
Sharp edges(rare nowadays)
Steel thickness
Material, Steel or Aluminium, Plastics
Design
extras eg Fans, Leds, thumb screws etc.
Layout, Removable motherboard trays, drive bays "btx like" etc.
Heat dissapation, and temperature control

Basically there are quite a few.

Personally i bought i cheap case, from raidmax. Good quality but when ever i
gotta work inside screws piss me off. I would spend the extra cash for the
tooless systems

"Jake" <jake@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Cases come in an almost infinite variety of designs. What are the
> justifying factors for spending a lot more on an expensive case, not
> counting the differences in power supplies?
>
> jm

geoff

"Jake" <jake@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Cases come in an almost infinite variety of designs.
> What are the justifying factors for spending a lot more
> on an expensive case, not counting the differences in
> power supplies?
>
> jm

nothing really, if the cheapo cases fit the bill, buy em

i have one of these currently
http://members.arstechnica.com/x/starbuck3733t/sc5000.jpg

if i where to replace it i'd get something like:
http://www.lian-li.com/Product/Chassis/M_V_C_PC-V1200.htm

you can buy em at (well that model range anyway)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Lian_Li_Cases.html

but then, i'v got cash to burn somewhat currently :)
buy a decent case, it'll prob last you a good few years, unlike the stuff
you put in it prob
this is enthusiast stuff, it's for poeple who have top end pc's, spend bit
up front, save later, it depends how much or little you want to spend

oh ya on those long cases make sure the ide/sata cables are long enough

Jake wrote:
> Cases come in an almost infinite variety of designs. What are the
> justifying factors for spending a lot more on an expensive case, not
> counting the differences in power supplies?

in addition to Veritech's list the aesthetic quality can also vary
depending on personal taste.... i find every PC tower case on the market
to be butt ugly. :)

and the ones that are attractive have some other issue, like bad cooling
or made of heavy steal. there's one exception, the alloy Silverstone
Nimiz (TJ-03). unfortunately it costs an arm and both legs :)

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-tj03.htm

Geoff's got good taste, i think that the Lian Li V-1200 is the best looking
case on the market. I love it, but considering a could a build entire pc for
the price, i'm not gonna part with my cash in that direction.
But if anyone wants to donate :)

Its favourite of modders too, the layout is perfect for a side window.
"Geoff" <fooooooool@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Jake" <jake@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Cases come in an almost infinite variety of designs.
>> What are the justifying factors for spending a lot more
>> on an expensive case, not counting the differences in
>> power supplies?
>>
>> jm
>
> nothing really, if the cheapo cases fit the bill, buy em
>
> i have one of these currently
> http://members.arstechnica.com/x/starbuck3733t/sc5000.jpg
>
> if i where to replace it i'd get something like:
> http://www.lian-li.com/Product/Chassis/M_V_C_PC-V1200.htm
>
> you can buy em at (well that model range anyway)
> http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Lian_Li_Cases.html
>
> but then, i'v got cash to burn somewhat currently :)
> buy a decent case, it'll prob last you a good few years, unlike the stuff
> you put in it prob
> this is enthusiast stuff, it's for poeple who have top end pc's, spend bit
> up front, save later, it depends how much or little you want to spend
>
> oh ya on those long cases make sure the ide/sata cables are long enough

"Jake" <jake@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Cases come in an almost infinite variety of designs. What are the
> justifying factors for spending a lot more on an expensive case, not
> counting the differences in power supplies?

It used to be sharp edges in cheap cases, and robust build in expensive
cases.

I bought a cheap case recently, £25 with loads of drive bays, clear window
on the side, with a blue LED fan in the window, blue LEDs on the front
"decoration", a door flap to hide the external drive bays (all adds to the
manufacturing costs). It has front USB and audio connectors, and the best
bit is that all the metal edges inside are rolled.

If you have chosen a case, see if you can find the same one on a site with
customer reviews like ebuyer. There will be some warning there if there is
a problem, e.g. "buy some plasters" and "should come with a pint of blood".

Bob

geoff

"Bob Smith (UK)" <bob@nospamplease> wrote in message
> "Jake" <jake@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Cases come in an almost infinite variety of designs. What are the
> > justifying factors for spending a lot more
> > on an expensive case, not counting the differences in
> > power supplies?
>
> It used to be sharp edges in cheap cases, and robust
> build in expensive cases.
>
> I bought a cheap case recently, £25 with loads of drive
> bays, clear window on the side, with a blue LED fan in
> the window, blue LEDs on the front "decoration", a door
> flap to hide the external drive bays (all adds to the
> manufacturing costs). It has front USB and audio
> connectors, and the best bit is that all the metal edges
> inside are rolled.
> If you have chosen a case, see if you can find the same
> one on a site with customer reviews like ebuyer. There
> will be some warning there if there is a problem, e.g.
> "buy some plasters" and "should come with a pint of
> blood".
> Bob

ha ya, every time you doa major change you always cut your hands on
something :)
it's mostly when dealing with the pci cards and removing the extra rubbish
metal bits
basicly you have to learn to use tools more and hands less, hardly ever cut
my hands these days

> "Bob Smith (UK)" <bob@nospamplease> wrote in message
>> "Jake" <jake@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Cases come in an almost infinite variety of designs. What are the
>> > justifying factors for spending a lot more
>> > on an expensive case, not counting the differences in
>> > power supplies?
>>
>> It used to be sharp edges in cheap cases, and robust
>> build in expensive cases.
>>
>> I bought a cheap case recently, £25 with loads of drive
>> bays, clear window on the side, with a blue LED fan in
>> the window, blue LEDs on the front "decoration", a door
>> flap to hide the external drive bays (all adds to the
>> manufacturing costs). It has front USB and audio
>> connectors, and the best bit is that all the metal edges
>> inside are rolled.
>> If you have chosen a case, see if you can find the same
>> one on a site with customer reviews like ebuyer. There
>> will be some warning there if there is a problem, e.g.
>> "buy some plasters" and "should come with a pint of
>> blood".
>> Bob
>
> ha ya, every time you doa major change you always cut your hands on
> something :)
> it's mostly when dealing with the pci cards and removing the extra rubbish
> metal bits
> basicly you have to learn to use tools more and hands less, hardly ever
> cut my hands these days

Worst thing I ever did was because of those damned HDD power plugs. Some
take massive force to pull out, then your hand flies back, and scrapes along
a specially designed razor sharp edge. Not too deep a cut, but would rather
have done without it.

Glad my new case has rolled edges. And like you say, I use pliers to pop
out and waggle the knock out bits.

Bob

"Jake" <jake@yahoo.com> wrote

> Been there . . . done THAT!!!! More than a few times. Guess I'm a slow
> learner, because I always grab those molex plugs and damn-near rip my
> fingers off trying to dislodge them.

Try wiggling it from side to side while pulling.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
spam@uce.gov
Thanks, robots.

Hey bob was that a Raidmax Cobra buy any chance?

Veritech wrote:

" Basically there are quite a few. "

A very exhaustive list, and I'd also like to add sound-proofing and
optimum airflow consideration to that. *Better* case manufacturers seem
to be able to brag about their heat dissipation qualities, whereas I've
had to had to create new holes in more than a few cheap cases just to
get the temperatures down.

Some of the air-intakes on budget cases have tiny bored holes, giving
the impression that your case fans are 30dBA instead of 20dBA. Those
smaller holes are also more susceptible to blockage from dust, and
errm... belly-button fluff.

Ian

Cuzman wrote:
> Veritech wrote:
>
> " Basically there are quite a few. "
>

> A very exhaustive list, and I'd also like to add sound-proofing and
> optimum airflow consideration to that. *Better* case manufacturers seem
> to be able to brag about their heat dissipation qualities, whereas I've
> had to had to create new holes in more than a few cheap cases just to
> get the temperatures down.
>
> Some of the air-intakes on budget cases have tiny bored holes, giving
> the impression that your case fans are 30dBA instead of 20dBA. Those
> smaller holes are also more susceptible to blockage from dust, and
> errm... belly-button fluff.

Oh that belly fluff will get around won't it! It's not just noise, the
air doesn't ever flow the same through the small holes. I've had a
couple of cases like that and I finally wised up.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0527-1, 07/07/2005
Tested on: 08/07/2005 04:03:14

"Veritech" <avis.dalrymple@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hey bob was that a Raidmax Cobra buy any chance?

When I type in the catalogue number, this comes up. It is pretty similar,
but mine has a different front.
http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=1781&category_id=55

The one you mention has the same side window as mine though:
http://www.modthebox.com/reviews/raidmax/cobra/cobra3.jpg

Bob

wookie

Things not mentioned yet is removable HD cages .. MB trays and a case that
is square .. USB ports in front and decent rails to put your opticals in.
PSU's are a factor to some or you can purchase a case without and get a PSU
by itself.

"Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote
> Things not mentioned yet is removable HD cages .. MB trays and a case that
> is square

I like the HD cages where the HD's slide in from the side. When using
full-sized motherboards lots of cases have unusable HD slots where the HD
would intersect with cables coming off the motherboard. So you'd have to use
kits on some of them to put the HD(s) in 5 1/4" slots.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
spam@uce.gov
Thanks, robots.

I'm all for curves in design, but this is to much

seen it before on andantech doesn't touch me.
"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message
> Veritech wrote:
>
> " i think that the Lian Li V-1200 is the best looking case on the market.
> "
>

> How about this? http://www.lian-li.com/Product/Chassis/M_M_PC-777.htm

You still end up apply more pressure than you would like too. We/they
should just use SATA power connectors so much easier.

> You still end up apply more pressure than you would like too. We/they
> should just use SATA power connectors so much easier.

I tried SATA briefly and pulling that out I broke a capacitor off my video
card.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
spam@uce.gov
Thanks, robots.

geoff

> I'm all for curves in design, but this is to much
>
> seen it before on andantech doesn't touch me.
> "Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message
> > Veritech wrote:
> >
> > " i think that the Lian Li V-1200 is the best looking
> > case on the market. "
> >

> > How about this? http://www.lian-li.com/Product/Chassis/M_M_PC-777.htm

yeah i saw that on the front page, i don't normaly like fancy silly cases
but i like this one
100% novelty value hehe

jake

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001

> "Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote
> > Things not mentioned yet is removable HD cages .. MB trays and a case
that
> > is square
>
> I like the HD cages where the HD's slide in from the side. When using
> full-sized motherboards lots of cases have unusable HD slots where the HD
> would intersect with cables coming off the motherboard. So you'd have to
use
> kits on some of them to put the HD(s) in 5 1/4" slots.
>

> --
> Ed Light
>
> Smiley :-/
> MS Smiley :-\

That's a very good point.

jm

I like those too, alongside that Lian Li V1200 i like the Antec Lan Boy.
Hits the sweet spot for my case needs.
But i still like the Lian Li more, but if i was gonna buy one i would go for
the antec cause it's half price.

But hey i like the way my pc looks now

http://www.russianspacestation.iwarp.com/blu-ray.htm