Cheap Graphics Card that can run on a 160W PSU

Apr 16, 2018
I have a crap OEM machine that have a fanless 160W PSU and now I want to upgrade the GPU a bit.
My OEM system has:
A Intel Core i5 4460T Quad core CPU;
8GB of RAM ;
160w PSU;
1TB HDD;
and a AMD RADEON R5 320M
I know this system have a lot more potential cause it is bottlenecked by the graphics card.Do you guys have any cheap Graphics Card that can retire my R5 320M?

Solution
A GTX1050 will run on slot power only, (max 75w)
Your 4460T is a low(35w) wattage version of the 4460.
I think 160w would be ok.

But....

What is the make/model of your OEM PC?
Does it have a motherboard with a pcie x16 slot?
Are the dimensions of the case such that a discrete graphics card will fit?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Is this an all-in-one? That's a GPU you see in laptops, so you'd pretty much only see this in laptops and all-in-ones. And if it's an all-in-one, your upgrade options get considerably worse.

A GTX1050 will run on slot power only, (max 75w)
Your 4460T is a low(35w) wattage version of the 4460.
I think 160w would be ok.

But....

What is the make/model of your OEM PC?
Does it have a motherboard with a pcie x16 slot?
Are the dimensions of the case such that a discrete graphics card will fit?

Solution

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

3 things that should set you off here.

i5 4460T Low power CPU
R5 320M "Mobile GPU"
Fanless 160W supply. This is probably proprietary and specially designed since it barely is above a laptop level.

This is a slimline at best and even a Low Profile might not fit, furthermore Airflow is nearly non existent so you really don't want anything that needs a fan and runs hotter than a normal business end GPU.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Yeah, that's why I'm thinking we're dealing with an all-in-one, which is unfortunate for the original poster.

Apr 26, 2018
Well, a 160 Watt power supply is just sad. Although there probably is an old generation graphics card that is suitable for such a low usage, it would also require a dangerously low power-consuming cpu (around 2 - 5 watts), which most of them are absolutely terrible (and usually very old). Overall, the performance on the build would be horrific!

If you are really limited to such a power supply, I recommend an old generation cpu with integrated graphics & no dedicated graphics card. But honestly, it would be much cheaper to buy a 350 - 500 Watt power supply, and it's actually much safer since your power supply has no fan, meaning it could easily overheat, so you probably should have a fire extinguisher around you.

To put it simply, I'm not going to do any research for such a dedicated graphics card. The performance would be terrible on the build, and it would cost much more than just buying a new power supply from 350 - 450 watts.