Question Cheap High-airflow PC case for Hot CPU/GPU

Oct 28, 2018
So i currently have a kolink obserbatory RGB which was originally for an FX 6300 and an RX 580. Recently i have upgraded my CPU, MB and cooler to an I7 9700K, Z390 ELITE and Corsair H100x.
Due to the lack of headroom at the top the cooler was mounted on the front and for reasons im unsure about, the cooler fans and case fans had to be inverted so they were blowing air out of my case instead of in so now i have 1 intake fan and 3 outtake fans.

My cpu is fine at the moment, averaging temps of if i remember 50-60 degrees but my gpu is another problem. Amd are known for hot gpus and with mine OC to 1440Mhz it runs very hot. Temps were reaching up to the 80s when gaming and the fans were on like 70(msi afterburner) which is just too loud.

So im looking for a temporary cheap pc case (until i can buy something like a dark pro 900 or corsair 680x) that will support a rad on for example the top and then also have something like a mesh front for the highest airflow possible. I do have RGB so i do like looks and a glass sidepannel but if there is anything good im willing to take a sacrifice.

for reasons im unsure about, the cooler fans and case fans had to be inverted so they were blowing air out of my case instead of in so now i have 1 intake fan and 3 outtake fans.

100% not true. If you can mount a radiator in a location and have the fans blowing out, you can physically mount the fans on the other side of the radiator, either side actually whether pulling or pushing through the radiator, and still have them oriented as intake bringing cool ambient air into the radiator and case. There is ZERO reason to have a front mounted radiator in an exhaust configuration, ever.

Whoever told you that is somebody you should never listen to again, ever, because they know less than you do. At least you realized it didn't make sense even if you weren't sure why.

Front mount the radiator, fans blowing through the radiator OR pulling air through the radiator, either way, as intake. Then top and rear fans should be exhaust. That holds true for about 90% of modern configurations with bottom mounted power supplies. There are of course some more exotic configurations like older top mounted power supply cases and mini ITX builds that have to have different cooling configurations, but yours is not one of those.

Just wanting a different case is a totally different thing than not being able to make your current case work the way it should. Also, it doesn't really matter WHAT case you get, if you don't configure the cooling system correctly, and right now it's NOT configured right, it's still going to suck, and not work as expected. I don't care if you build a 480mm custom loop cooling system, if all the fans are fighting against each other and against the normal process of stack effect, it's never going to cool well no matter what you do.

Nothing wrong with getting a better or different case, so long as you understand that you still need to configure things in a way that allows the cooling system to be complementary, rather than contradictory, to itself.

In all honestly, most Cooler master cases are not very good. They are mostly cheaply built and do not offer a lot of the standard features found on other high end cases without paying a premium. Sometimes not then. I dislike them in general for many of their unsavory business tactics and trickery, plus lower quality than a lot of similarly priced components.

In truth, that MC500P has no better liquid cooling support than the case you already have. My advice would be if you are unable to set things up correctly in your current case that you take it to somebody who can and who knows what they are doing.

Certainly, there are better options including cases that are specifically intended for use with AIO and custom loop liquid cooling rather than just having "support" for it. A lack of drive cages on the left side of the motherboard tray would go a long way towards being able to use a push pull configuration with your radiator. Something like this would probably be a lot better for what you have in mind.

https://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-s2-black-tg