Cheap Holdover for x1950 Pro?

cyber_Bruno

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Hey all. I'm sitting on some games that I'm already playing with settings very toned down, if at all due to the Radeon x1950 Pro's limited Shader 3 support. I'm using a Sapphire card that has the memory upped to 512MB (vs 256 MB standard). Full details here.
I'm building a new computer around Oct/Nov this year, but wouldn't mind a cheap holdover in the meantime to at least push these titles up a bit and either retain or improve my framerate for the games that can dip below 30 FPS. I'm not looking to go maxing things out, more just push the resolution up to my monitor's max instead of 1-2 settings below that (or in the case of Front Mission Evolved, get the thing to not crash on launch ><). For "cheap" I'm thinking $100 tops, for power I'm using a 500W PSU, heat shouldn't be a problem. Only other hook is that my mobo only has a standard PCI-e 16x, and pretty much every replacement card is going to be a restrained PCI-e x16 v2.x card. Any thoughts? Currently an Nvidia 9800GT seems to be a nice contender.

cyber_Bruno

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Good point. Sometimes my tech side gets the better of me when I start shopping around. Given I'm coming from a 512MB card it's not like I'd be losing anything by not going 1GB (I know there's a lot more to cards, but you get my point). I'm thinking the basic Sapphire Radeon 5670 should definitely suffice for the interim months, and the price/free shipping is certainly appreciated. Thanks. :)