Cheap Intel Systems?

G

With the new Intel price cuts and VIA's new Apollo Pro 266 Chipset, it seems to me that you could soon build a high-end P3 system almost as cheaply as an Athlon system. What do you guys think? Will people choose Intel now that their prices are comparable to AMD's?

G

In the case Intel prices will be the same as AMD
I will choose Intel as they have SMP and AMD has not,
while I really like to play with SMP.

Dual-to-go!

Sojourn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A pIII 1GHz is still more than a 1.2GHz Athlon, so I don't forsee this changing a whole lot in the way the market is working. The people that actually know enough to consider price/performance ratios are still going to choose AMD.

BTW, AMD will have thier dual processor chipset out soon.

Everything in moderation

flavio321

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2001
what the hell would you want with smp? so that you could run some benchmarks that intel publishes in order to make their cpu seem faster than amd's.

If you can't beat 'em kill 'em
athlon "SLOTA" thunderbird 700@1050mhz

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well my dual celerons 533 can match a athlon t-bird 700 in NT4. What now!!!!!!

First person to get a topic banned. ABIT BP6 Lives FOREVER!!!

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the questions is "what the hell would you want with smp?"

you have no clue, I hope AMD ppl flame the crap out of you, seeing that alot of amd enthusiast are awaiting smp to take advantage of win2k/linux/intel.

that's why I have smp, that's why we all need smp.

tfbww

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2001
You're not getting it. They can NOT be in the same sentence, braniac. Your penance is to go diagram all the "sentences" in War and Peace. Go now.

(I would have figured you to have more logical grounding considering your budgetary responsibilities.)

G

Hmm... Well when I say 'cheap', I really mean 'inexpensive'. That is, compared to a rambus PIII system before the price cuts. I didn't mean cheap as in low quality.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I know that you AMD fans think that INTEL and INEXPENSIVE don't belong in the same sentance. But I happen to know that they actually can be. :)

I bought an ultra-cheap "get this Celeron the heck out of our inventory" system from a small OEM for less money than the parts inside of it were worth. :) Granted, it was only a Celeron 500. And granted most of the hardware was on the motherboard. But for the price, it sure beat using a P1-133.

One thing you really don't see as much of is clearance sales on AMD systems.

So there are instances where Intel systems can actually be inexpensive without being cheap.

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Oh sure they can be in the same sentences if:

1. You have a P1 133
2. You have a P3 with other crappy hardware like a TNT2 Video card and 32MB of SDRAM
3. That's about it
4. Don't forget the 286, 386, and 486, they're quite cheap these days