Question Cheap laptop for basic stuff

Jan 8, 2020
1. What is your budget?
Didn't really think about it, but since I have low requirements I expect to pay little. So generally the cheaper the better

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14 inches would be the best

3. What screen resolution do you want?
FHD

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Not sure what is meant by that

5. How much battery life do you need?
Don't really care, will mostly use it at home so I can plug it in at any time

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Only Hearthstone

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Watching FHD vidoes/streams, maybe Skype from time to time

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
120-128 GB should be enough

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Don't really care

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2-3 years I guess

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
USB/micro SD slot is more than enough

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Don't really care

13. What country do you live in?
Scotland

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed
I was a little interested in Chromebooks since they seem better suited for those tasks but don't know too much about hair things so that's why I am asking

Colif

Win 11 Master
The reason your posts keep disappearing is you are only a new user and if you edit a thread it gets added to an approval thread. So either stop editing them or wait for me to approve them. I am going to delete the other 2 now

Its a spam protection, its nothing personal :)

Lutfij

Titan
I've merged the threads. Please stop creating multiple posts when it's on the same topic.

We will still need a budget, cheap can mean a lot of things to a lot of people. Cheap to a guy who owns a number of Ferrari's would probably mean 5,000USD.

Chromebooks wouldn't be what you need if you want to play games on it. In fact you might be able to get by with a laptop that comes equipped with a Vega GPU or an Intel HD 620 but those will cost you around 500USD.

Since you're located in Scotland and the majority of the users here are from USA or near about, we've asked for you to include a preferred site for purchase so we know what you have access to.

Jan 8, 2020
Thank you and apologies. Was quite confused about their disappearance

Well, in regards to budget I have seen laptops with much better specs than what I need for £500 so I did not expect to exceed £400 but I can do that if that's necessary. I have £1000 put aside for things like this, does not mean I want to spend all of it. Basically meant the cheapest laptop that can do those things so if there are many but the cheapest is for example for £300 I would take it over others.

As for the websites I am not from the UK so I don't know too much about which is good but Argos and Currys are pretty popular it seems.

Lol___

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016
Since noone's really answered your question yet, from what I see on the websites that you suggested, Lenovo Ideapad S340 14" Intel Core i3 - 128 GB SSD, Platinum is the best you're going to get in terms of computing power.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...-laptop-128-gb-ssd-platinum-10193275-pdt.html

It's priced at 399 and has all the features you're looking for. The integrated graphics (Intel UHD Graphics 620) should be more than enough to run Hearthstone and the 8gb of RAM should be good enough to run several tabs of chrome at once. It has good speakers and a great battery life. Unfortunately, it has a low quality TN panel (screen) with mediocre color accuracy, but it should be expected at this price range.

Another option is to get the Acer Swift 3 14" AMD Ryzen 3 laptop, priced at 429. It uses a Ryzen processor (Ryzen 3 3200u) and it is a downgrade from the i3-8145u and includes less RAM than the Ideapad. However, you get a relatively much better screen with a IPS panel (better viewing angles, better color accuracy + contrast, less screen flickering). Here you're pretty much sacrificing everything (battery life, computing power, graphics) except for the screen. It should be noted that if you're mainly going for media consumption while being plugged in, it might be better to stick with this.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...-3-laptop-256-gb-ssd-silver-10193940-pdt.html