Deathstrike1987

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
I have a cheap Alaska liquid cooler (£30) and would it be better for me when I upgrade to get a new air cooler or would the Alaska one be any good? I don't have the page but it kept my FX 8320 at 70c while gaming. I am upgrading to a Ryzen 5 2600x with 8x2 GB off 3200mhz ram (if they is anything I can improve please tell me

Solution
Would this cooler be any good I have only ever know antec for their cases https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071DJMPVR?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1
I don't see any reviews or anything. It's probably bad for a 360mm but it's definitely better than either of the other options here. For the price, though, I would actually suggest getting a high end air cooler like the Noctua NH-D15 or the BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4. Both of which will probably outperform that 360mm.
There's also the NH D15S if you worry about ram clearance, which is basically an NH-D15 but without the front fan. And the NH D14 if you don't want such a large heatsink.
If your case can't accommodate such a large tower cooler, or you just don't like how it...
In order to beat the best Air-coolers you really need to go for 360mm AIO, after that the custom loop route.
In my experiance and this is a very broad guide

120mm AIO= better than a cheap Air, can compete with middle class Air-coolers
240mm AIO= Better than middle Air can depending on quality get close to upper air-coolers
360 AIO= Can compete and beat the best air-coolers but depends on the maker and your individual setup

Reactions: extreme_noob
In order to beat the best Air-coolers you really need to go for 360mm AIO, after that the custom loop route.
In my experiance and this is a very broad guide

120mm AIO= better than a cheap Air, can compete with middle class Air-coolers
240mm AIO= Better than middle Air can depending on quality get close to upper air-coolers
360 AIO= Can compete and beat the best air-coolers but depends on the maker and your individual setup
I agree with this completely, but the esports is not much better than a hyper 212 evo so I doubt it will beat anything more than a 120mm. But by all means it will beat that really cheap 120mm that OP already has.

Reactions: Schlachtwolf
I would go for at 35€ for this as an Air cooler providing the case allows....

DEEPCOOL Gammaxx GT BK

or as an AIO optin if the case allows

Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB Wasserkühlung '240mm Radiator, All-In-One

With either one no more than 60€ and cooling even with and OC is not an issue.

Cheers

Reactions: extreme_noob

Deathstrike1987

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019

DEEPCOOL Gammaxx GT BK

Cheers
Real quick how much do you think a msi 970 gaming motherboard a FX 8320 and 8gb of ddr3 ram would fetch (reason) all the money sold from my old rig can pretty much go into cooling

Deathstrike1987

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019

DEEPCOOL Gammaxx GT BK

Cheers
Would this be any good https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071DJMPVR?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Would this cooler be any good I have only ever know antec for their cases https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071DJMPVR?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1
I don't see any reviews or anything. It's probably bad for a 360mm but it's definitely better than either of the other options here. For the price, though, I would actually suggest getting a high end air cooler like the Noctua NH-D15 or the BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4. Both of which will probably outperform that 360mm.
There's also the NH D15S if you worry about ram clearance, which is basically an NH-D15 but without the front fan. And the NH D14 if you don't want such a large heatsink.
If your case can't accommodate such a large tower cooler, or you just don't like how it looks, then you can go with the 360mm rad, but it will probably perform worse than the large tower coolers

That said, all this isn't really necessary if you're just going to run your 2600X stock. Unless you plan on overclocking, you could get by just fine with a mid range cooler like the NH U12S or the Dark Rock 4 (NOT Pro 4, just 4). Temps and noise would be low, and still perform better than the 120mm radiator or the arctic freezer 33.

Solution

Deathstrike1987

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
If your case can't accommodate such a large tower cooler, or you just don't like how it looks, then you can go with the 360mm rad, but it will probably perform worse than the large tower coolers

That said, all this isn't really necessary if you're just going to run your 2600X stock. Unless you plan on overclocking, you could get by just fine with a mid range cooler like the NH U12S or the Dark Rock 4 (NOT Pro 4, just 4). Temps and noise would be low, and still perform better than the 120mm radiator or the arctic freezer 33.
ok ill have a look at the noctua one thanks for your help

Deathstrike1987

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019

what would you recommend for overclocking a cpu like the ryzen 5 2600x

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Size is irrelevant to performance in a cooler. Size is relevant to capacity, which isn't the same thing.

Most budget aircoolers run @ 140w capacity. Most 120mm aios run @ 140w capacity. With cpu output below the rated capacity of the cooler, even a 120mm AIO can and some do outperform even a Noctua NH-D15. Performance is all on the design of the heatsink and ability of the fan(s). Same goes with aircoolers, even a CM Hyper212 evo can get better temps than a NH-D15.

It's only when cpu output is getting closer to the smaller coolers thermal limits that the larger capacity of the larger coolers puts the efficiency curve lower, so temps look better.

So what you'll see is that at stock settings, the cheap Arctic esports will perform similarly to the current aio, but if under OC or high boost PBO and heavy cpu usage, the larger aio capacity will get lower temps than the smaller aircooler, simply due to efficiency curve as the cpu thermal output will be closer to the smaller coolers limit.

Deathstrike1987

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
Size is irrelevant to performance in a cooler. Size is relevant to capacity, which isn't the same thing.

Most budget aircoolers run @ 140w capacity. Most 120mm aios run @ 140w capacity. With cpu output below the rated capacity of the cooler, even a 120mm AIO can and some do outperform even a Noctua NH-D15. Performance is all on the design of the heatsink and ability of the fan(s). Same goes with aircoolers, even a CM Hyper212 evo can get better temps than a NH-D15.

It's only when cpu output is getting closer to the smaller coolers thermal limits that the larger capacity of the larger coolers puts the efficiency curve lower, so temps look better.

So what you'll see is that at stock settings, the cheap Arctic esports will perform similarly to the current aio, but if under OC or high boost PBO and heavy cpu usage, the larger aio capacity will get lower temps than the smaller aircooler, simply due to efficiency curve as the cpu thermal output will be closer to the smaller coolers limit.
What cooler do you think I should get I want to to a bit of overclocking to get it up a bit above turbo (and stable )