[SOLVED] Cheap Mac for a photographer. Need someone who knows "older" mac products well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerxavier

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Basically, I'm curious if there would be a good cheap Mac out there that would support Aperture with ease. I don't mean support it perfectly. My thoughts here are for specifically photo editing you don't need a whole lot of beef and Aperture is by far the best tool you can get for such. So, I was curious if there was an older mac that can use the current version of Aperture without much performance issue and the typical cost of buying a Mac today. I've briefly browsed some Mac products. Of course I'd prefer sticking to the towers, as it'll make it easier to self-upgrade.

TL;DR: Looking for older model of Mac Pro Tower that will utilize todays Mac OS version and Aperture without much performance issue or typical Mac price hit. The point is to give a professional photography the access to the best editor without the hefty price of a brand new mac.

Solution
Yeah dont go past 2010 at maximum
Macs last fine for a long time but i would recommend a 2011 model iMac 21.5 inch.
It all depends what you want from it.

gamerxavier

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I'd likely buy it from ebay or whatever. I'm just curious of the model and such. I wouldn't want hackintosh as I can't be sure those who get these will have any idea what they're doing and I don't want calls every weak that something has gone wrong and they lost everything or screwed up the install. I've done them and they're easy. Updating however has issues.

adumbbird13

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

Ahh ok makes sense. The 2010 model is probably your best option

Status
Not open for further replies.