Cheap motherboard for phenom 955

justjuice

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Hi I'm looking for a cheap motherboard to go with a new phenom 955 for a new gaming computer. I do not plan to overclock nor do I plan to use crossfire/sli, I will however be using a graphics card. All I want is an affordable motherboard that has 1 slot for the graphics card and is somewhat future proof. I'm wondering however what effect the 3.0 usb ports have on gaming and if they are worth the extra cash? Also if I buy a motherboard without an integrated graphics card, could I save some cash and would the motherboard still be good for all its other functions?

thanks

Welcome, Newcomer. Checkout newegg, i'm pretty sure they still have some 770-790 mATX mobos, all cost less than $100. As for USB 3 and gaming, I could be wrong, but the only thing that USB and gaming have in common are devices (I.E. keyboard, mouse, etc.) I don't use gaming devices, so I can't vouch for the need for USB 3 when I play games on my computer.

Edit: The absence of an integrated display adaptors could save you money, but honestly, I haven't seen that factor in cost comparisons. Newegg has search functions that let you filter for motherboards with or without integrated display.