[SOLVED] Cheap NAS backup options?

CubsWin

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012
I have a Synology NAS with 4x 12 TB HDD's, running as 2 RAID pairs. While the drives are fairly new and the RAID setup does provide some level of protection from disk failure, I don't have any form of backup for a catastrophic failure. I would like to be able implement a Cloud backup solution (Backblaze B2, Amazon Glacier S3, etc.) but even their cheapest storage options are going to run me between $50-$100/month, plus the costs to retrieve data if that ever becomes necessary. I have a hard time justifying that expense, so are there any other cheaper options for cloud storage that could meet my needs? Retrievals will be rare, if ever, and speed of retrieval isn't critically important.

If not, there is always the option of purchasing a separate external drive, backing everything up, then storing that offsite somewhere. The long term costs will certainly be much less, but it is a little more involved to perform the backups and store the drive. I also wouldn't get that warm fuzzy feeling that my data is 100% secure.

Any thoughts?

Solution
I have a QNAP, that gathers backups from the house PCs and itself, daily or weekly.

My offsite is a drive in a desk drawer at work. Updated quarterly or so.
That could easily be at a friends house or wherever.