[SOLVED] Cheap PSU 650W cause coil whiine gpu ??

RybeXo on YT

Prominent
Jan 17, 2021
Guys i have rtx2070 super triple fan OC, Ryzen 7 3700X 4200mhz , SSD nvme , 1to hdd , 16ram 3200mhz , aorus b450elite . 6 fans in the case . I use azza 650w bronze psu , is it good? i notice i have static noise headset and little coilwhine in gpu , and sometimes suttering . Please i need solution. wht's the prob???

Solution
I don't know why you are telling him with so much confidence that's a PSU issue.

I know that there is a chance it's the reason behind the issues, because it's not a famous tested model, but it could be something else and you just cost him 100+ bucks.

Or it could be something else because he doesn't tell you every critical info about it.

You can't make assumptions like that...Imagine everyone did it and half the people here to start spending hundreds or thousands, depending on the type of the assumption...

I'm not making assumptions. I'm suggesting that it is a PSU issue. No more than that. I would agree with you, potentially it could be something else. Perhaps the better recommendation would be to swap out the PSU. maybe the...
Hey there,

Well, just to confirm your thoughts, I simply wouldn't run YOUR system (which is rather good - and expensive!) with that PSU.

Regarding the coil whine, yes, that's very possible the PSU is causing that in the GPU. It's because the power being provided isn't done correctly causing the whine.

If I were you, I'd shut down my pc, and not start it again, until I got a good PSU.

Something like a Corsair RMX/RMI/TXM, Seasonic Focus Plus Fold, EVGA G2/G3. A 650w will do fine.

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
It could be the reason for the coil whine but it's not necessary...The only way to know if your hardware is healthy and stable is to benchmark,stress...With or without that PSU you need to do it before you attempt a RMA.

I have a 2070 Super combined with a RM650x and it gives me coil whine.
Benchmarks? Perfect, sometimes better than oc'ed models.
Gaming? Perfect...1440p, high detail games.

RybeXo on YT

Prominent
Jan 17, 2021
Hey there,

Well, just to confirm your thoughts, I simply wouldn't run YOUR system (which is rather good - and expensive!) with that PSU.

Regarding the coil whine, yes, that's very possible the PSU is causing that in the GPU. It's because the power being provided isn't done correctly causing the whine.

If I were you, I'd shut down my pc, and not start it again, until I got a good PSU.

Something like a Corsair RMX/RMI/TXM, Seasonic Focus Plus Fold, EVGA G2/G3. A 650w will do fine.
really????? its bad psu ?

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I don't know why you are telling him with so much confidence that's a PSU issue.

I know that there is a chance it's the reason behind the issues, because it's not a famous tested model, but it could be something else and you just cost him 100+ bucks.

Or it could be something else because he doesn't tell you every critical info about it.

You can't make assumptions like that...Imagine everyone did it and half the people here to start spending hundreds or thousands, depending on the type of the assumption...

I'm not making assumptions. I'm suggesting that it is a PSU issue. No more than that. I would agree with you, potentially it could be something else. Perhaps the better recommendation would be to swap out the PSU. maybe the OP has a spare, or can borrow one from a friend. Alternatively, bring to a local store and have them swap out the PSU to test. This might only cost €£$20 bucks, rather than as you say paying for a new one.

As far as I can see that PSU doesn't even have the full rated 650w on a single rail. It's one of those weaker/cheaper brands, that add the two rails together. I'd be surprised if that PSU has 550w, on 12v rail, let alone the advertised 650w. Its a pretty cheap PSU, and that tends to mean quality of components aren't the best. I just wouldn't trust it in powerful system. That's what I was trying to convey.

Solution
i support everything the others say about the psu , if it is not working properly your componants will under perform and in extreme cases if the power supply " lets go " you can loose all your componants.

No mater how much your set up costs , the power supply is one item you should not cut corners on ... as i say you could loose everything.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead