[SOLVED] Cheap router good enough for 1 person?

Keithngan162

Honorable
Apr 17, 2016
Currently, I have an ethernet cable going along my ceiling all the way to the back of my desk. I used to have a Xiaomi Mi Router 3 placed on top of my desk, which supplies my whole room with wifi coverage. But now, I threw that router away because I couldn't get a stable connection to it, and it was difficult connecting to the router itself. I even tried my old adsl N300 router, and I could connect to the router no problem ( but no internet because it didnt use a rj45 connection to receive data.) But still way better than the experience I had with my Xiaomi router which was AC1200

Now, Im looking for a new router that will replace the Xiaomi router. It will only serve 1 or 2 devices at a time. My phone and a laptop. My budget is around $50 max because the Xiaomi router only cost me $20 . N300 is enough for 1 gaming laptop and 1 phone right?

Solution
When you get that low price you have to be very careful. There is a lot of junk no name brands being sold directly from china. The no name brands tend to have very poor software support many never put out any patches.

I would still get a ac1200 devices as a minimum. The chipset manufactures are not really producing the older "N" style radio chips so a lot of the product you see on the market is old inventory. They can make the newer low end chipset for about the same price as the older 802.11n chips.

TPLINK tends to be a good low priced brand. Even asus has a ac1200 device under $50 and they tend to be one of the better brand names.

You want to run the device you buy as a AP assuming your ethernet cable is going back to...
When you get that low price you have to be very careful. There is a lot of junk no name brands being sold directly from china. The no name brands tend to have very poor software support many never put out any patches.

I would still get a ac1200 devices as a minimum. The chipset manufactures are not really producing the older "N" style radio chips so a lot of the product you see on the market is old inventory. They can make the newer low end chipset for about the same price as the older 802.11n chips.

TPLINK tends to be a good low priced brand. Even asus has a ac1200 device under $50 and they tend to be one of the better brand names.

You want to run the device you buy as a AP assuming your ethernet cable is going back to another router. That way you can plug you gaming machine in with ethernet

Solution