Cheap SSD drive just for running operating system

Psycho Savager

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
I'm looking to get a small and cheap SSD just for running my operating system. I currently have a partitioned HDD (320 GB) - I use 50GB for Windows and essential programs and the rest is just for storing media. I have had the HDD for 4 years and I've only half filled it in that time, so I don't need much extra space, I just want an SSD for quickly booting up my computer. What recommendations could people give me?

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R
RAM: Crucial 2GB DDR2
HDD: Samsung SpinPoint T166 HD321KJ
Optical Drive: Samsung Super WriteMaster SH-S203
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3850
Case: ThermalTake LANBox
PSU: Corsair HX520 520W

Well I think it's it's the age of ya HD more than the technology..... for example on my son's 2600k build.

Boot to Windows 7 - 64 from Seagate Barracuda XT (2TB) = 21.2 seconds
Boot to Windows 7 - 64 from OCZ Vertex 3 (120 GB) = 15.6 seconds

adampower

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Sorry, I live in Canada. Check Tom's ssd buying guide for ideas. I read an article about when, or if, an ssd would help a system. I think your g33 / duo was right around that line. An older rig would NOT see improvement. Your rig may show a minor improvement.

With that in mind I would look at a 'good' second gen drive such as intel 25m or vertex 2. Basically looking at price/gb but also looking forward to using this boot disc with your next mobo too.

Being that you're happy and comfortable keeping an eye on your boot partition you can get away with a 60 or 64 gb drive.

Here's the link:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ssd-nand-reliability,review-32297.html