[SOLVED] cheap upgrade i5-4690k to i3-10100f, worth it ?

Dec 5, 2020
Hi
My current setup is:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690k
CPU cooler: Xigmatek Gaia 1283
MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 3
RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR3 2x8GB 2400Mhz CL11 Savage
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 SUPER OC 6GB
PSU: SPC Vero L3 600 W M.2 SSD:
PNY XLR8 CS3030 1TB
CASE: Fractal Design Core 3000

I plan to buy
CPU: Intel Core i3-10100F
MOBO: MSI H410M-A PRO
RAM: Adata XPG GAMIX D10 DDR4 2666 DIMM 16GB (2x8) Kit

And now the questions:
  1. Will Windows reconfigure itself if I move the SSD from the old motherboard to the new one?
  2. Is my CPU cooler compatible with the new socket?
  3. How much will the performance improve?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
LGA1150/LGA1200 same mounting dimensions, don't see why the cooler won't work on a 10100F, it'll have roughly the same power output at heavy loads.

Gains? only realistically in higher thread games, like online multiplayer or high Ai single player and its not so much a Gain as it is a lessening of thread saturation impact.

Clean Windows install. Always. A different mobo carries different chipsets, needs different drivers, has a different msconfig and registry. You'll get dead ends, loops, conflicts galore. Its like trying to re-use old packing tape, it just never sticks the same the second time around.

its not really an Upgrade as it is a Sidegrade to something newer with a warranty. A 10600k is an entirely different story altogether

I-5 4690K 4 cores 4 threads to i3-10100F 4 cores 8 threads is about 6% faster. Not really worth it.

When you move an OS from a system to a new system this can happen.
  • It will work fine
  • It will not work at all
  • It will work but you will be chasing issues forever
A clean install of Windows is recommended.

Cooler is not compatible.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
LGA1150/LGA1200 same mounting dimensions, don't see why the cooler won't work on a 10100F, it'll have roughly the same power output at heavy loads.

Gains? only realistically in higher thread games, like online multiplayer or high Ai single player and its not so much a Gain as it is a lessening of thread saturation impact.

Clean Windows install. Always. A different mobo carries different chipsets, needs different drivers, has a different msconfig and registry. You'll get dead ends, loops, conflicts galore. Its like trying to re-use old packing tape, it just never sticks the same the second time around.

its not really an Upgrade as it is a Sidegrade to something newer with a warranty. A 10600k is an entirely different story altogether

Dec 5, 2020
People everywhere write that win 10 reconfigured itself on the new equipment, so I had hope. The upgrade I wrote in the first post may be under $ 110, so I thought of it as a base for future upgrades. 10600k is not an option with its price, how about 10400f? I also thought that the 10100f would have a much stronger core-to-core performance than 4690k. I also thought that the 10100f would have a much stronger core-to-core performance than 4690k. I also do not plan to upgrade the graphics card in the near future, and now it is probably bottleneck by the processor, on 10100f I would probably use its full potential?

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS