[SOLVED] cheap upgrade i5-4690k to i3-10100f, worth it ?

xardas228

Commendable
Dec 5, 2020
Hi
My current setup is:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690k
CPU cooler: Xigmatek Gaia 1283
MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 3
RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR3 2x8GB 2400Mhz CL11 Savage
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 SUPER OC 6GB
PSU: SPC Vero L3 600 W M.2 SSD:
PNY XLR8 CS3030 1TB
CASE: Fractal Design Core 3000

I plan to buy
CPU: Intel Core i3-10100F
MOBO: MSI H410M-A PRO
RAM: Adata XPG GAMIX D10 DDR4 2666 DIMM 16GB (2x8) Kit

And now the questions:
  1. Will Windows reconfigure itself if I move the SSD from the old motherboard to the new one?
  2. Is my CPU cooler compatible with the new socket?
  3. How much will the performance improve?

Solution
LGA1150/LGA1200 same mounting dimensions, don't see why the cooler won't work on a 10100F, it'll have roughly the same power output at heavy loads.

Gains? only realistically in higher thread games, like online multiplayer or high Ai single player and its not so much a Gain as it is a lessening of thread saturation impact.

Clean Windows install. Always. A different mobo carries different chipsets, needs different drivers, has a different msconfig and registry. You'll get dead ends, loops, conflicts galore. Its like trying to re-use old packing tape, it just never sticks the same the second time around.

its not really an Upgrade as it is a Sidegrade to something newer with a warranty. A 10600k is an entirely different story...
I-5 4690K 4 cores 4 threads to i3-10100F 4 cores 8 threads is about 6% faster. Not really worth it.

When you move an OS from a system to a new system this can happen.
  • It will work fine
  • It will not work at all
  • It will work but you will be chasing issues forever
A clean install of Windows is recommended.

Cooler is not compatible.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
LGA1150/LGA1200 same mounting dimensions, don't see why the cooler won't work on a 10100F, it'll have roughly the same power output at heavy loads.

Gains? only realistically in higher thread games, like online multiplayer or high Ai single player and its not so much a Gain as it is a lessening of thread saturation impact.

Clean Windows install. Always. A different mobo carries different chipsets, needs different drivers, has a different msconfig and registry. You'll get dead ends, loops, conflicts galore. Its like trying to re-use old packing tape, it just never sticks the same the second time around.

its not really an Upgrade as it is a Sidegrade to something newer with a warranty. A 10600k is an entirely different story altogether

Solution

xardas228

Commendable
Dec 5, 2020
People everywhere write that win 10 reconfigured itself on the new equipment, so I had hope. The upgrade I wrote in the first post may be under $ 110, so I thought of it as a base for future upgrades. 10600k is not an option with its price, how about 10400f? I also thought that the 10100f would have a much stronger core-to-core performance than 4690k. I also thought that the 10100f would have a much stronger core-to-core performance than 4690k. I also do not plan to upgrade the graphics card in the near future, and now it is probably bottleneck by the processor, on 10100f I would probably use its full potential?

Last edited: