Cheap way to get into PC gaming

Sep 8, 2018
I am looking to get into PC gaming. However, prebuilt models capable of running newer games are far out of my budget. I have little to none PC building experience. I have watched a few tutorials, and know the name and placement of most basic parts, but that is about it. Have any ideas?

Solution
Building your own is not difficult or risky if you read the instructions and do not force anything.

For what it is worth, here are two stock bits of advice:

------------------------------ budget build ---------------------------
For a budget gaming build, I like to recommend that one builds for future expandability.
That means paying a bit more up front for some parts that allow for an easier future upgrade.
A good rule of thumb is to budget twice as much for the graphics card than for the cpu.

Let me start where you might not expect:

1. Buy a good 450-550w psu or better. A quality 450w will run a card as good as a GTX1060 or possibly a GTX1070
Future graphics cards will be built on smaller 14nm so they should not need...

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Well it's not cheap. To build a custom gaming PC somewhat comparable to a console you will need at least 500-600 dollars. Depending on what you need peripherals, monitor etc it may cost more.

So what is your budget? If it's around 400 US or less you probably better off just buying a console. You may be able to find something decent used if you look around.

Building your own is not difficult or risky if you read the instructions and do not force anything.

For what it is worth, here are two stock bits of advice:

------------------------------ budget build ---------------------------
For a budget gaming build, I like to recommend that one builds for future expandability.
That means paying a bit more up front for some parts that allow for an easier future upgrade.
A good rule of thumb is to budget twice as much for the graphics card than for the cpu.

Let me start where you might not expect:

1. Buy a good 450-550w psu or better. A quality 450w will run a card as good as a GTX1060 or possibly a GTX1070
Future graphics cards will be built on smaller 14nm so they should not need more power than today.
Look for a tier 1 or 2 quality unit on a list such as this:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

Seasonic is always good I particularly like the seasonic focus line:
This 550w unit is often on sale.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151203

2. Buy a lga1151 Z370 based motherboard. About $100.
Do not begrudge paying a bit more now forZ370 which enables the upgrade to much stronger K suffix processors.

3. I suggest a I3-8100 About $120.
In time, you can upgrade to any 8th gen I3/I5/I7 cpu that you want and market the original processor.
If you are truly budget constrained, the Intel G5400 is about $65.

4. The intel stock cooler will do the job.

5. For ram, speed is not important. Buy a 8gb kit of 2 x 4gb DDR4
About $90. If you ever want 16gb, buy it up front in one kit; adding more ram is never guaranteed to work.
Heat spreaders are marketing and generally useless.

6. Cases are a personal thing. Buy one you love. Most will do the job for <$50.
Here is a silverstone PS08 for $50; It fits a smallar M-ATX motherboard.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163223

7. The graphics card is the most important component for gaming.
I think a GTX1050 or GTX1050ti would be appropriate, plan on $120-$150.
You could go stronger in the video card if your budget permits and your games need it.
I like EVGA as a brand. They have a 90 day trade up program if you find you need something stronger. Read the fine print on the program.

On the other hand, you could build using the integrated 630 graphics which is quite good and see how you do.
By deferring on the graphics card, you will get a better idea of what you really need.
Integrated is fine for sims, but not fast action games.

8. Lastly, I will never build again without a SSD for the "C" drive. It makes everything you do so much quicker.
Buy a samsung evo of 240gb or better; about $90.

I think this totals about $600.
-------------good luck------------

MY build process:

Before anything, while waiting for your parts to be delivered, download
and read, cover to cover your case and motherboard manual.
Buy a #2 magnetic tip phillips screwdriver.

1. I assemble the critical parts outside of the case.
That lets me test them for functuonality easily.
A wood table or cardboard is fine.
2. Plug in only the necessary parts at first. Ram, cpu, cooler, psu.
Do not force anything. Parts fit only one way.
Attach a monitor to the integrated motherboard adapter if you have one, otherwise to the graphics card.
3. If your motherboard does not have a PWR button, momentarily touch the two pwr front panel pins with a flat blade screwdriver.
4. Repeatedly hit F2 or DEL, and that should get you into the bios display.
5. Boot from a cd or usb stick with memtest86 on it. memtest will exercise your ram and cpu functionality.
6. Install windows.
7. Install the motherboard cd drivers. Particularly the lan drivers so you can access the internet.
Do not select the easy install option, or you will get a bunch of utilities and trialware that you don't want. Drivers only.
7. Connect to the internet and install an antivirus program. Microsoft security essentials is free, easy, and unobtrusive.
8. Install your graphics card and driver if you tested with integrated graphics.
You will need to remove the graphics card later to install your motherboard in the case.
Make a note of how the graphics card latches into the pcie slot.
The mechanism will be hidden under the card and may be difficult to work if you have not previously checked how.
9. Update windows to currency.
10. Only now do I take apart what I need to and install it in the case.
11. Now is the time to reinstall your graphics card.

Solution
Sep 8, 2018
thanks Geofelt! You have probably heard of PC part picker, i have a build right here-https://pcpartpicker.com/user/JimVideogames/saved/#view=W8qdXL Does this seem like a capable PC?

Here are some thoughts:

1. I3-8100 and GTX1050ti are a good balance.

2. I3-8100 comes with a perfectly adequate cooler. No need for any aftermarket cooler.

3. I like the Z370 motherboard for the ability to upgrade the cpu in the future.

4. No. No.
2133 speed is fine, but buy a 2 x 4gb ram kit.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.

5. Love the drive selection.

6. Case is ok.

7. 450w is plenty for your GTX1050ti and enough for even a GTX1060.
But...
I do not know how the unit you picked stacks up; here is one list of psu quality:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/
A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections.
If it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive. Do not buy one.

See if you can't find a way in your budget to buy a t least a tier 3 unit. A psu can last for several generations of rebuilds.
I like the Seasonic focus 550w unit.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151203
It will be strong enough to power even a GTX1080 in the future.

Sep 8, 2018
All good suggestions. I would like to know though, should i spend extra on DDR4 ram? DDR3 seems much cheaper but i am worried about compatability or performance issues. Any thoughts? EDIT: nevermind, i checked the motherboard. It only supports 288 pin DDR4 ram.

A moot point.
All modern intel or ryzen motherboards will use only DDR4 ram.