Cheap Windows 7 server

Inkognito

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
We have a server at work running Windows Server 2003. We log onto the server using Remote Desktop and basically use it as a normal Windows PC. It also hosts our homepage and more importantly our booking system and database (I work at a motel). It also controls the electronic locks and keycards for all the rooms.

The server is getting old and we want to replace it.
I'm considering getting a desktop PC with RAID (for backup), since we really don't need an expensive, professional server solution (we got the old one cheap and used).

Apparently Microsoft is going to stop supporting Windows Server 2003 later this year, so I was thinking of getting the cheapest version of Windows 7 for the new server.

It needs to support Remote Desktop and multiple different user accounts.

I'm used to running the Ultimate edition myself, and I'm often surprised by the basic features that have been stripped from the cheaper versions.

Do all versions of Windows 7 support the above?

I'm a bit allergic to Windows 8, and I would rather not have to pay for Windows Server 2012.

Any input is welcome.

Dee Kay

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
Hopefully this will help answer your questions. From Windows,

All editions of Windows 7 include Remote Desktop Connection.
You can use Remote Desktop to initiate a connection from any edition of Windows 7.
You can connect to computers running Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, or Windows 7 Enterprise.
You can't use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to computers running Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, or Windows 7 Home Premium.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/connect-using-remote-desktop-connection#connect-using-remote-desktop-connection=windows-7

Inkognito

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011

Thank you very much. This was exactly what I needed to know.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
if you can work with 2012R2 Essentials, it can be had free (legally) even after the 180day trial period IF you don't mind the obnoxious pop up telling you to please purchase it. the Standard version just reboots every hour without being nice to you.