[SOLVED] Cheapest but best CPU for daily tasks.

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
Hi, I'm trying to build a PC with a low-end spec, enough for daily tasks like Internet browsing, searching stuff on web, Office apps, printing and just the regular work for general tasks.

What CPU can you recommend? I wouldn't mind ddr3, but I'd prefer the cheapest system I can get but still with decent performance.

Some say that the G4560 is enough but I also have an option for an i5 3570 . Both are abundant in the 2nd hand market.

Any recommendations would be highly appreciated!!

Solution
Build or buy?

If you want most performance per dollar, refurbished office PCs are generally the way to go as they tend to come with the OS pre-installed.

I think we are at the point where avoiding a DDR3 system is best, 4th gen Intel is decent, but starting to show its age when it comes to web content (still use one as a daily driver)

But there is a lot to be said for a more recent AMD APU.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 4600G 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($100.97 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock A520M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($68.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Silicon Power GAMING 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($35.97 @ Amazon)
Total: $205.92
Prices include...

Lutfij

Titan
Before we can suggest a processor, we're going to need to know the make and model of the motherboard, otherwise we could literally suggest something like a Ryzen APU or even NUC's since they're abundant on the used market as well.

Please list the specs to your proposed build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
including the age of the PSU if you're recycling the unit from an older build.

Reactions: Ahazuerus

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Build or buy?

If you want most performance per dollar, refurbished office PCs are generally the way to go as they tend to come with the OS pre-installed.

I think we are at the point where avoiding a DDR3 system is best, 4th gen Intel is decent, but starting to show its age when it comes to web content (still use one as a daily driver)

But there is a lot to be said for a more recent AMD APU.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 4600G 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($100.97 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock A520M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($68.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Silicon Power GAMING 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($35.97 @ Amazon)
Total: $205.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-03-08 11:36 EST-0500

Solution

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
Before we can suggest a processor, we're going to need to know the make and model of the motherboard, otherwise we could literally suggest something like a Ryzen APU or even NUC's since they're abundant on the used market as well.

Please list the specs to your proposed build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
including the age of the PSU if you're recycling the unit from an older build.

Hi, I'm still starting off with the cpu and no components or other parts present. I really just want to have an Idea.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
CPUs don't do you much without something to plug it into. And the range of compatibility is slim.

G4650 is indeed a DDR4 processor and requires one of two generations of motherboard to operate it. 100 series and 200 series. But Skylake and Kabylake do not meet the requirements for Windows 11.
i5-3570 is older DDR3 and requires one of two generations of motherboard. 60 or 70 series.

Here is an 8th gen i5 for $175
https://www.newegg.com/dell-optiple...0001-6EN27?Item=9SIADFMJKB9223&quicklink=true

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
Hello everyone, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and ideas about this thread, I've decided to settle for a Ryzen 5 4650G , an M.2 SSD , B450, 16gb of ram and a Corsair cv550 . It would cost more but I think it's better on the long run. Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS