[SOLVED] Cheapest CPU to squeeze everything out of a GTX 1070 Ti?

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Hello Everyone 👋

So heading explains all.... I'm looking for a cheapest CPU that can squeeze everything out of a Gigabyte Auros GTX 1070 Ti...

I'll be playing AAA titles on 1080p@60Hz.... Just Storyline Games not Esports Gaming....

Ask anything freely if needed 🙂

Peace ❤️

Solution
The R5-1600AF, 2600, and even 3600 , all three CPUs are immensely popular on a decent B450 board......

If you budget allows the cost of the 3600, it will be the better option that lasts thru a GPU upgrade or two later.... (not that you'd need it for a while, the 1070Ti is still quite competent, IMO....

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Probably a Ryzen 5 1600af for $85 would be your best bet. Can be pair with a $60 B450 and another $60-75 of 3000+ 2x8gb
The R5-1600AF, 2600, and even 3600 , all three CPUs are immensely popular on a decent B450 board......

If you budget allows the cost of the 3600, it will be the better option that lasts thru a GPU upgrade or two later.... (not that you'd need it for a while, the 1070Ti is still quite competent, IMO....

Thanks for quick response... I wanna ask that what if i use XFX RX VEGA 64? Can you guys recommend CPUs now?

bignastyid

Titan
So i think I'll go for Ryzen 5 2600... So it will be enough to squeeze everything out of XFX VEGA 64 right?
Do you even have a PSU capable of running a Vega 64? That 550w unit from your other thread isn't going to cut the mustard.

Your other thread was similar I felt the other posters deserved to see what had been suggested before. Especially since you posted even less info this time.

Reactions: Phaaze88 and RodroX

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Do you even have a PSU capable of running a Vega 64? That 550w unit from your other thread isn't going to cut the mustard.

Your other thread was similar I felt the other posters deserved to see what had been suggested before. Especially since you posted even less info this time.
Sir with due respect, i have a 750W unit now. So there is no need to worry about PSU. And secondly, I have posted all required information but still if anything is missing, please feel free to ask. Anyways thanks for your concern.

The Vega 64 is a hungry power eater, that usually does a lot of noise too, really I don't get why people would choose this over a GTX 1070ti.

Well..... unless the Vega 64 its really, really, really cheap, but ..... theres a reason why it is that cheap, isn't it?

Anyways asbignastyid wrote, be awere a 550w PSU, wont do the job for a vega 64. nvm, OP owns a 750w unit.

Anyways the CPUs named are all very capable ones.

Reactions: taimoorbaig382

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
The Vega 64 is a hungry power eater, that usually does a lot of noise too, really I don't get why people would choose this over a GTX 1070ti.

Well..... unless the Vega 64 its really, really, really cheap, but ..... theres a reason why it is that cheap, isn't it?

Anyways asbignastyid wrote, be awere a 550w PSU, wont do the job for a vega 64. nvm, OP owns a 750w unit.

Anyways the CPUs named are all very capable ones.
I'm going for an open air build... So I'm not worried about temperatures... And secondly, noise is not a problem for me.
I wanted to ask that power hungry means higher electricity bills right?
Thanks a lot for your reply mate ❤️

Reactions: RodroX

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
What's the make and model of your 750w PSU? Whats your budget and location for the upgrade? What parts from your current rig are you planning to reuse?
Sir can you please put all these things aside? I think these are irrelevant questions because all i have asked is a name of a CPU. I already know which PSU to use, how much money to spend and which parts to reuse. Peace ❤️

I'm going for an open air build... So I'm not worried about temperatures... And secondly, noise is not a problem for me.
I wanted to ask that power hungry means higher electricity bills right?
Thanks a lot for your reply mate ❤

Power hungry means a lot of things, other than what you wrote, it also means it will drawn more power from your PSU, so the PSU will have to work harder to keep the power comin. In a world were everything in high tech tends to "deliver more with less power" (lets forget about intel here for a min ok), picking the big bulky power hungry part does not make any sense to me. But hey, its a free world, and maybe there are other reasons for why do you want the AMD GPU, and thats fine!

Last edited:
Reactions: taimoorbaig382

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Apparently asking for more information gets you down voted. I asked valid, relevant questions to get needed information to assist with your inquiry. Good luck, going by your post history you're going to need it.
With all due respect, i don't wanna engage in a debate over here..... As i said, put all these factors aside and just tell a CPU that is capable of squeezing everything out of a VEGA 64...

And I think I've already got my answer. A Ryzen 5 2600 will do the job. 🙂

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Power hungry means a lot of things, other than what you wrote, it also means it will drawn more power from your PSU, so the PSU will have to work harder to keep the power comin. In a world were everything in high tech tends to "deliver more with less power" (lets forget about intel here for a min ok), picking the big bulky power hungry part does not make any sense to me. But hey, its a free world, and maybe theres are other reasons for why do you want the AMD GPU, and thats fine!
Brother You're great. Loved your response. The only reason I'm going for a VEGA 64 is because it's noticeably better than 1070 ti in performance and VEGA 64 costs around 48000PKR and a 1070 ti costs about 50000PKR in my country.

Brother You're great. Loved your response. The only reason I'm going for a VEGA 64 is because it's noticeably better than 1070 ti in performance and VEGA 64 costs around 48000PKR and a 1070 ti costs about 50000PKR in my country.

Well Im not sure about the "noticeably better" in performance, don't get me wrong, in some titles it may get you between +8 to 10 FPS, and thats a lot, but when you are talking about 112FPS vs 123FPS its not something you will notice (https://www.techspot.com/review/1791-amd-radeon-vii-mega-benchmark/).

Anyways, heres a look at the power consumption between the two: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_1070_ti_review,7.html just so you know, more or less the delta (btw those are "system power", but the system was the same, the only diference was the GPU).

Cheers

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The reason the make/model of your PSU was asked for earlier was to ensure it is capable of powering your intended Vega 64 GPU.

Not all PSUs are created equally. Some, even rated at 750w, actually produce much less power.

The Vega 64s require lots of stable, consistent power. Low end PSUs, regardless of advertised power, may NOT provide such power.

Moderators, all with tremendous experience and knowledge, are not going to ask frivolous questions. We are only here to help.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@taimoorbaig382
The question regarding the power supply is relevant because:
1)The gpu is the most stressful part of a PC for the psu to deal with.
2)Vega 64 is a greedy monster on power consumption, and will be a real test of rigidity for many units.
3)Psu quality > quantity. It appears you believe it will be fine, because '750w psu'. It's not that simple. You don't actually know the quality of the parts inside, and neither do we, since you won't disclose the model info.
One of us could look it up - or perhaps knows from personal experience, whether your psu will reasonably handle a Vega 64.

Oh, the Colonel beat me to it!

Last edited:

popatim

Titan
The PSU is the heart and blood of your PC, It feeds power every single piece of the PC aside from the case itself. IMO it is the most crucial piece to a build to get right. We see lots of people build expesnive systems only to wind up having to get a better PSU because they went cheap thinking one with 500w was just as good as any other one with 500w.

Remember cheap PSU's list their MAXIMUM power that they can deliver, even if it's only for a split second before they fail and maybe take out the rest of your PC with them. Some even catch fire.

The better ones list the power that they can deliver Continuously and their peak output is much higher
And the real good ones do the same but have even more protections in place to keep your PC components from being harmed if they fail.