Question Cheapest decent B550/X570 mobo with post code LED

I am looking for a decent 200 USD/Euro or less mobo to pair with a r5 3600
and since my current almost 6yr old mobo MSI Z97 Gaming5 got a nice post code display
I kind of want its replacement to also have one.
After looking around a bit all i found was a bunch of premium mobos for around $300 or more that got that feature.
Which is surprising. I mean is that tiny LED display that expensive? My current MSI Z97 mobo was only like $160 when it was released.
So now you have to pay twice as much for that tiny LED display?
Is there a way to add one myself? I mean it's just a primitive display that I have seen in calculators from the 80s

The ones I've found so far are
ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
ASUS ROG Strix B550-E Gaming
MSI MEG X570 Unify

Don't think any of the sub $300 Aorus got it.
nor do any of the Tomahawks or the X570 Tuf which are all excellent boards according to the reviews.

and I don't need 3x full length pcie slots as I don't think sli is a thing anymore
and 2x nvme is enough for me as I only have 1tb ssds and will only get 2tb or higher when I upgrade in the future

Is there a cheaper mobo that has a post code display?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You're not paying double the amount due to the little diagnostic readout, you're paying for the componentry that surrounds the diagnostic LED and the capacitors and the PCB. Due to the latter generation of chipsets, PCB layering had to be revamped and increased and with the pandemic, the cost of boards has gone up a little.

I have a suggestion, so long as your motherboard(the one yo eventually end up choosing) has a TPM header, you can work with this module. You can mount it inside your chassis to give you a readout but in 2021, you're going to use that sparsely.

You're not paying double the amount due to the little diagnostic readout, you're paying for the componentry that surrounds the diagnostic LED and the capacitors and the PCB. Due to the latter generation of chipsets, PCB layering had to be revamped and increased and with the pandemic, the cost of boards has gone up a little.

I have a suggestion, so long as your motherboard(the one yo eventually end up choosing) has a TPM header, you can work with this module. You can mount it inside your chassis to give you a readout but in 2021, you're going to use that sparsely.

I understand the much newer boards got much much better VRM and have many other features that the old ones don't have.
but still adding the required components and that display wouldn't cost as much as that $30 module you mentioned.
Thanks for the link though. It looks like those mini pcie debug cards for laptops except more expensive

that debug display is pretty much on high end oveclocker mobos, due to "premium" feel
cheaper mobos have switched to 4 leds (cpu, gpu, ram, boot error leds)
but the MSI Z97 Gaming 5 wasn't a high end board

but the MSI Z97 Gaming 5 wasn't a high end board
that was in past dude..today u wont find it on cheap boards...not much space left to add it at low cost...u got debug leds there on mid grade boards
btw u can get cheap debug cards on ebay, serial port/tpm module/usb can be used, pcie cant be used (port 80h isnt visible) or u can make your own, u just read port 80h, u get either 4bit or 8bit hex codes
port 80h is universal..pretty much any device uses it (tablets/mobiles etc)

Last edited:
lol
I guess I found my own answer, again.
Instead of telling me what you believe the reason is behind the lack of debug displays in newer boards why not just help me find a cheaper board than the ones I mentioned....

which is
Gigabyte B550 Aorus Master at around $250

according to some reviews that board also has the same VRM as the much much more expensive X570 Aorus Extreme
View: https://youtu.be/m8d4C80Ub_o?t=654

TRENDING THREADS