Cheapest DVD harware decoder? and network DVD Q.

Drew888

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If I watch DVD on my PIII 933 it is smooth as silk unless I have other programs running.

So I am looking for a cheap hardware decoder.

Also, would it be possible to output/network a DVD movie from say... a AIW Radeon in a home made TIVO box in a family room to my PC in my Den?

I am researching the idea of making good use of my old BH-6 by putting it into my family room as a TIVO alternative but also having the capability of watching the same thing over onto my Den PC (maybe when the in-laws are over :)

Thanks,

DREW

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
If you use a long S-Video or Composite Video cord you might, but I don't think that you can send a DVD signal through a network.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
About the hardware decoder, I think that if you don't run any other programs with a 933, the DVD will be extremely smooth already!

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
If you buy an AIW, it has some of the best DVD hardware decoding in the business. Also, many of the mid to higher quality ATI cards have this feature as well, although they cannot send out a digital signal to Digital Surround Sound system like the AIW Radon.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

G

If you want to use a DVD drive over a network u gotta share it out. Right click the DVD drive icon under My computer and select sharing. Set that up to share out the DVD Drive as read only. One of the options will be SHARE AS:, here you can specifiy a share name, what ever you put you will need later on so dont forget it.

Then go to the other PC's and open explorer (not IE), go to tools and select map network drive.

In the path box enter \\computer_name\share_name

where computer_name is put the host name of the pc sharing out the DVD ROM (I.E. PC1)

the share_name is what ever you shared out the DVD rom as.

The reconnect at logon box by default should be unchecked, only check this if you leave the computer with the dvd drive on all the time.

once you have done all this you need to install a prog like win dvd 2000 on all the machines, when you select the drive to read from you can choose the mapped one you just created.

good luck !