[SOLVED] Cheapest LGA 1155 motherboard that supports sata III 6gbps?

Nov 4, 2020
Hello and thank you for reading my question :) My motherboard an old Asus mobo is just not doing it for me anymore, I wanna know what's the cheapest LGA 1155 motherboard that supports sata III 6gbps. I have a I5 3570, RX 570 8gb 16Ram running at 1333mhz, a 500GB Samsung evo 870 (which I'm only getting less than half the speed because of my motherboard which is sata II) 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM 64MB, 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM. Can someone send me some boards that will have sata III and cheap?

Last edited:
Solution
First off, your CPU is 10 years old so any motherboard you are going to find that supports it is going to be 6 years old at the very least, maybe older. So be aware that motherboards start to fail around about that age, so you need to be careful not to buy one with blown caps or failed VRMs or whatever. Don't buy anything listed as "untested".

You definitely shouldn't buy the "cheapest" motherboard, because that would be some horrific thing from Wish.com that cost you $10, and would probably work for about 6 months then fail, taking your CPU and PSU with it.

There are also "Budget" motherboard brands to avoid: ASRock, Biostar etc.

Since you have a 3rd-Gen i5 CPU from 10 years ago, you won't be able to find a brand new motherboard for...

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
First off, your CPU is 10 years old so any motherboard you are going to find that supports it is going to be 6 years old at the very least, maybe older. So be aware that motherboards start to fail around about that age, so you need to be careful not to buy one with blown caps or failed VRMs or whatever. Don't buy anything listed as "untested".

You definitely shouldn't buy the "cheapest" motherboard, because that would be some horrific thing from Wish.com that cost you $10, and would probably work for about 6 months then fail, taking your CPU and PSU with it.

Since you have a 3rd-Gen i5 CPU from 10 years ago, you won't be able to find a brand new motherboard for it. You will have to go to eBay.

The last chipset to come out for your CPU was the "Z68". As it happens that particular chipset was very popular because it had a lot of good features and was exceptionally stable and reliable. So you should easily be able to find a good-condition used board for sale.

Some examples of good boards from that era with 2x SATA-3 6GBPS ports:

Gigabyte GA-Z68 (Any revision)
ASUS P8Z68 (Any revision)

However, be aware that prices on old Z68 boards are going UP as they get more difficult to find, not DOWN. You might find that buying a slightly newer motherboard and CPU combo actually works out cheaper. Take a look at 4000 or 5000 series i5 CPU and motherboard combos as well.

Reactions: Navy
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Hello and thank you for reading my question :) My motherboard an old Asus mobo is just not doing it for me anymore, I wanna know what's the cheapest LGA 1155 motherboard that supports sata III 6gbps. I have a I5 3570, RX 570 8gb 16Ram running at 1333mhz, a 500GB Samsung evo 870 (which I'm only getting less than half the speed because of my motherboard which is sata II) 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM 64MB, 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM. Can someone send me some boards that will have sata III and cheap?
What specific motherboard do you have now?
Model number, please.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
H61 boards only had SATA-2 ports, and even if the chipset supported them not all boards enabled the SATA-3 ports at first.

OP might simply be plugging his SATA cable into the wrong ports though, since most Ivy Bridge boards do have at least one SATA-3 port.

If it is an H61 board You might consider a SATA-3 PCI-E expansion card such as the Syba SI-PEX40064 which can be bought new on Amazon or eBay for much cheaper than a vintage Z68 motherboard.

Nov 4, 2020
H61 boards only had SATA-2 ports, and even if the chipset supported them not all boards enabled the SATA-3 ports at first.

OP might simply be plugging his SATA cable into the wrong ports though, since most Ivy Bridge boards do have at least one SATA-3 port.

If it is an H61 board You might consider a SATA-3 PCI-E expansion card such as the Syba SI-PEX40064 which can be bought new on Amazon or eBay for much cheaper than a vintage Z68 motherboard.
I did consider an expansion card but it probably won't be recognized by bios at least that's what I read

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
In my country I can get a Asus P8Z68-V LX for 60€ and it has Sata III6gps

It's in Portuguese but it has the specs of it what do you guys think?

https://www.olx.pt/anuncio/asus-p8z68-v-lx-rev-1-3-IDGoZrv.html

That's a really great price for that board. Whether or not I would buy it depends how many years it was used for, and what sort of work it was doing. When was it purchased new? How many years has it been sitting on the shelf? If it has been in constant use as a gaming PC since it was released in 2012 then no. I would probably not buy that. But if it had been used for 5-6 years in an office PC, then was sold to this shop and they had it since then? Sure.

It needs a good cleaning, use 99% isopropyl alcohol. And make sure to update to the latest BIOS as one of the first things you do on it:

Version 3603(Only for Win7 & Win8)

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020
That's a really great price for that board. Whether or not I would buy it depends how many years it was used for, and what sort of work it was doing. When was it purchased new? How many years has it been sitting on the shelf? If it has been in constant use as a gaming PC since it was released in 2012 then no. I would probably not buy that. But if it had been used for 5-6 years in an office PC, then was sold to this shop and they had it since then? Sure.

It needs a good cleaning, use 99% isopropyl alcohol. And make sure to update to the latest BIOS as one of the first things you do on it:

Will it achieve the max speed of my samsung 870 Evo? 570 write 530 read?

I wouldn't buy that board.

That's not a great price IMO. At the end of the day it's a very very low end z series motherboard from a decade ago. In general old boards are overpriced and that's not an exception.

I have the same board but the LE not LX, which is basically the same thing with a VRM heatsink. It works fine, but it's not a board worthy of that pricetag, which is equivalent to 72 USD.

I think I paid just over $100 for the upgraded version of that motherboard, an i5 2500k, Corsair cooler, and 8gb Corsair ram.

A few other things of note:

1) You may need a bios update to work with ivy bridge.

2) Even though that motherboard DOES support SATA 6gb, there are only 2 ports that run at this speed.

3) Also some early SATA III controllers from companies like Marvell weren't great. My X58 board (one generation older) has both an Intel SATA II and a Marvell SATA III controller. Surprisingly, with an older Samsung data III SSD, the sataiii controller is BARILY faster than the Intel SATA ii controller, topping out at about 50mb/s above SATA ii speeds. This could be result of the drive being older, but I have heard a lot of similar storys about these controllers from others.

My recommendation would be to either get a branded sataiii pcie card for your current motherboard, OR
Get a 7x Ivy Bridge board where the chipset has an Intel SATA iii.

The former is much more logical.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Since you have a 3rd-Gen i5 CPU from 10 years ago, you won't be able to find a brand new motherboard for it. You will have to go to eBay.

The last chipset to come out for your CPU was the "Z68". As it happens that particular chipset was very popular because it had a lot of good features and was exceptionally stable and reliable. So you should easily be able to find a good-condition used board for sale.

Some examples of good boards from that era with 2x SATA-3 6GBPS ports:

Gigabyte GA-Z68 (Any revision)
ASUS P8Z68 (Any revision)

However, be aware that prices on old Z68 boards are going UP as they get more difficult to find, not DOWN. You might find that buying a slightly newer motherboard and CPU combo actually works out cheaper. Take a look at 4000 or 5000 series i5 CPU and motherboard combos as well.
You don't even have the chipset correct? Their also nothing wrong with ASRock or Biostar boards.

The 7 series boards came out the same time the 3XXX processors did!

I have a 2500K still running on a Asrock Z77 been overclocked to 5.0 all these years!

EDIT My review of a 40 buck Biostar motherboard from 2011 replaced the PC this last year after the PSU 400 watt NEO ECO went out. Bought brand new from Newegg.

Great for a low budget build.10/19/2011 6:50:59 PM
Pros: Used this MB for my wife a low budget system mainly for MMO's. I'm very pleased with all of it. Hit delete to get into BIOS as this board has no opening screen. Everything worked and for the price :) It reconized everything in the system even the ram that did not say it suported the chipset.
Cons: None $40 everything works.
Overall Review: Build: Rosewill R-101 case $30, Biostar A780L3B MB $40, AMD Athion II x2 270 Regor 3.4Ghz $70, G,skill value series 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333 $42, Hitachi 500GB 7200RPM 3.0 Gb/s $42, Light-on DVD $18 Total was $259 after UPS. Added front case fan 400Watt PSU and a 6770

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Top of the line. Seriously, top.
If it's still fully functional, it's a lot more worth it than the P8Z77 V series.

I had an LE for years,, that's truly Asus bottom of the barrel board, it was functional for a 3570k or 3770k at stock values, but wasn't anything I'd even bother to write home about. Somewhat pathetic in many ways, the V/ V Pro was better, but still sad, the LX just had more pcie slots, but was still sad.

Pcie x16/x4 unless you actually used a pcie x1 slot for anything such as wifi or net card (the built in Lan port was pathetically slow) after which it became x16/x2. Couldn't even run decent SLI even if you could afford 2x gpus at the time.

But yeah, the ROG boards were far superior in every way.

Nov 4, 2020
Will the Asus Rog Maximus IV Extreme Z77 fit in this Asus TAK51 BLACK mid tower supports atx and mini atx I have a Corsair vs 550w psu will this all work?