[SOLVED] Cheapest PSU lasted for 7 years?

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
I had a PSU that was from some company called "Techcom". It was of 450 watts.
This PSU was bought back in 2014. Thats a long time I guess. It STILL works, though it makes too much noise and heat.

It looked like this:
https://rukminim1.flixcart.com/imag...ly-netfit-original-imag3xga44hckhxy.jpeg?q=70

I Guess this is how all the cheap PSUs look like. It isn't exactly the same model. It just looks like this.

At the time I bought the system, I didn't know anything about computers. I only believed what the shopkeeper said.

Seriously, how did this PSU last THIS long? Was it because there was no GPU inside?
It was used on a Core 2 duo e4600 system. I was using it till February 2021 (Then I broke the motherboard socket pins).

Solution
No GPU - low load, low stress. And also, just the fact that the PSU still works doesn't mean that it works good, it may have high ripple, bad voltage regulation, lacking protections.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Yeah, its just like that sometimes. Cheapo psus could last decades, and vice versa for more expensive ones… Ive got a cheap no brand “BTC mining” psu that i use solely for testing and it’s still alive.

but the only difference is… when these cheap psus do fail, they usually fail spectacularly.

Reactions: RodroX

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
Yeah, its just like that sometimes. Cheapo psus could last decades, and vice versa for more expensive ones… Ive got a cheap no brand “BTC mining” psu that i use solely for testing and it’s still alive.

but the only difference is… when these cheap psus do fail, they usually fail spectacularly.
Yup. MY brother's computer's PSU died when there was a power fluctuation and took the whole motherboard along with it.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
No GPU - low load, low stress. And also, just the fact that the PSU still works doesn't mean that it works good, it may have high ripple, bad voltage regulation, lacking protections.

Reactions: RodroX
Solution

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Yup. MY brother's computer's PSU died when there was a power fluctuation and took the whole motherboard along with it.

good thing it was just the motherboard in his case. i had an aigo psu before and when it failed, it popped and crackled then caught on fire... i think i still have photos of it, let me see haha.

cheapo psus definitely won't have any type of protections.
but still, a lot of people are very ignorant when it comes to this. not realizing that its one of the most important parts of the build...

Reactions: Corwin65