[SOLVED] Cheapest RTX 2070 Super Vs Most Expensive RX 5700xt. Which one should i get?

Sayers122

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016
I'll be gaming on a 1080p 144hz monitor and can't decide which one to choose (will be pairing this with a R7 3700x) . The prices here in India is :
RX 5700xt (PowerColor Red Devil) : $591(42,000 INR)
Galax RTX 2070 Super: $598 (42,500)

The Red Devil edition is the costliest RX 5700xt in India (a tad overpriced here imo) while the 2070 S (Galax) is the cheapest RTX 2070S.

Any help would really be appreciated ❤

Solution
The 5700XT and 2070S are more or less equal with the 5700XT drivers being more optimised with better support in future drivers. Also since this the Red Devil we are talking about, it will have better build, cooling and vrm than the Galax base model. For OC 5700XT will boost ahead better than the Galax 2070S.
I really need to see some proof on the underlined part, because currently, this is simply not true - and won't change until AMD can gain a larger foothold over Nvidia in marketshares... and Intel is soon to join the fray.

Nvidia's Turing(20 and 16) series graphics cards are essentially a refined Pascal(10) architecture, which is over 3 years old.
VS
AMD's recently launched RDNA(RX 5700/XT)arch...
So the drivers for a...

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Why specifically those two?

The 2070S is going to perform better, so just based on price/performance it'd be the better choice from those two. There are other factors like temps/fan noise, which are hard to know without looking at reviews for the specific card model (and may be more or less important based on individual preference).

The 5700XT and 2070S are more or less equal with the 5700XT drivers being more optimised with better support in future drivers. Also since this the Red Devil we are talking about, it will have better build, cooling and vrm than the Galax base model. For OC 5700XT will boost ahead better than the Galax 2070S.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I really need to see some proof on the underlined part, because currently, this is simply not true - and won't change until AMD can gain a larger foothold over Nvidia in marketshares... and Intel is soon to join the fray.

Nvidia's Turing(20 and 16) series graphics cards are essentially a refined Pascal(10) architecture, which is over 3 years old.
VS
AMD's recently launched RDNA(RX 5700/XT)arch...
So the drivers for a brand new tech are somehow more stable and reliable than the drivers on a 3 year old one?

Nvidia, who can afford to send teams to work together with multiple developers and design/optimize drivers to work on their products.
VS
AMD... do they even do things to this extent? Can they afford to?

@Sayers122
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcGWIJW3iNU

With the prices in your country, I believe the 2070 Super may be the better buy. According to that video, the 2070 Super is 6% faster on average, and you just pay a few bucks more for it.
Over here in the US, there's about a $100, or 7,000 INR, difference between the 2, with the RX 5700XT being the cheaper card.

The blower style cooler on the Galax 2070 Super shouldn't be an automatic deal breaker.
Blower coolers are actually superior in small form factor cases, vertical gpu setups, or simply in situations where there isn't sufficient breathing room for the multi-fan models. For Ex: if the card is just above a case's power supply shroud.

The only real minus of blower coolers is the fan at 100% rpm. It can be pretty audible.
While they do run a little warmer than multi-fan, this will be a non-issue if you have good case cooling.
Also, they don't dump most of their waste-heat inside the case, slightly warming everything else up in the process like the latter does.

Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
The 5700XT and 2070S are more or less equal with the 5700XT drivers being more optimised with better support in future drivers.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx_5700-rx_5700_xt,6216-2.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt/28.html

As I said above, the 2070S is 5-10% faster on average. The 5700 XT Red Devil is only a bit faster than the reference model, not enough to close the difference.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/powercolor-radeon-rx-5700-xt-red-devil/28.html

Depends on the 2070 S really. In my book the 6-8% performance difference in Fps is not that much, but in terms of cooling quality might be massive.
I rather have a card that runs tad slower with better noise levels than a tad faster and I need to have my headphones on not to bother me..